Drupal's cron: Suggestions to make it run?

squidz

Perch
I have been trying to get Drupal's cron maintenance to run for well over a week on a Jodo Linux install. One should be able to set up a crontab that points to the cron.php page/script. It is necessary to keep the system running smoothly.

Does anyone have a solution to work this out? Jodo support, after 6 days, tells me the Linux account cron service can't do it, which seems odd. Why have the feature if it can't run a simple crontab?

Is there anyone out there running Drupal on Jodohost?

I am not a PHP developer but rather a designer with enough tech-savvy to have gotten Drupal and this site about 99% complete. However, cron needs to run for Search and other features to be maintained.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Linux can work with a cronjob as set from the hsphere CP, it may not work via the directions you have in the install/readme files.

Thanks for the reply Stephen. Sadly, jodo support has left my support ticket unresolved for a week, about 6 days too long, saying "you have to right a function to run the cron.php feature of Drupal." Seems pretty lame that you can't run a simple script via a crontab on a Linux server. I'd moved the whole site from Windows to Linux, primarily for that reason all for nothing.

I finally had to load the third party module "poormanscron" to get it done, but the module has known bugs.

It' hard for me to believe that there isn't anyone on Jodohost using Drupal other than myself...or even someone triggering a php script from a crontab.

squidz, you can set the 'cronjob' on hpshere, using wget to process it.

one such example is here:
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=15290&highlight=wget

I was unable to look at the page you linked to...said I didn't have permission. You've gone out on a limb to help, so here's the quick history.

My original test was a sample from a Drupal forum:
*/5 * * * * wget -q -O /dev/null http://www.domain.com/cron.php

That fired off emails to me from the Cron Daemon stating:
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/wget: Permission denied

Support ran me through changing paths in the crontab, changing it using .htaccess, inserting a code snippet to access the "curl extension." None of it worked and I became worried that either the Hsphere cron is crippled or that support doesn't know how to use it.

After pushing to elevate the ticket to a higher level, I ultimately was advised:

What you need to do is write the code that execute "http:///www.domain.com/cron.php".
Curl module is not available currently in command line version of php that's why execution by curl function doesn't work. You need to find other function to execute.

So, what's the point of having the cron feature if one cannot run a script with it?

I'm not a programmer so I have no clue what code to write. In the past, I've set up cronjobs easily on other systems both by command line and Control Panel tools without all of the trial and error.

I was very surprised that support didn't have a quick and clear solution to a common task, especially after I provided all of the maybe 5 lines of code involved. That is why I put out the call to other Jodohost customers for assistance. Waiting a week to be told the feature doesn't work is not exactly my idea of support.

submit a PM to me with your hosting username and I will add you to customer only access

Back