DTS Packages for doing backup/restore?

gsaunders, the reason you script the tables first is because if you just use the DTS to create the objects it doesn't "catch" everything. Keys and restraints aren't replicated properly. You create the tables, then do the dts. During the dts you select which tables to transfer, and make sure they are being transfered into dbo.xxxxxx. You can manually edit the user in the destintation table column. Save the package and you can rerun it later. I also set it up to delete the desintation data before transferring so I can save the package and run it at anytime.

This works really good once you have everything set up properly.

Yash said:
I have installed Web Data Administrator (a microsoft tool) that allows you to make local backups to your disk. i have done so only on mssql5 for now. If its successful, I'll install it on all mssql servers:

http://mssql5.jodoshared.com/webadmin/default.aspx
username: webadmin
password: everyone

be sure to change Authentication Mode to SQL Only
Hello Yash, its been quite some time since you implemented this. Is there any chance of this being implemented on other servers? I am on MSSQL6.

I have been basically very happy with Jodohost. But not having an interface for doing backup/restore operations is something that must be addressed. Most other hosting services I have used have one or the other kind of web interface to do it. Using DTS for this is not a good option as the restore is not exact (keys are lost etc) and creates a lot of problems with identity keys etc if we do DTS after creating the objects using a script and not to mention the extra time that gets wasted in doing it.

Jodohost support has been good with me in the past and they do the backup/restore operations whenever I request it but its still a bit frustrating as there is a time lag involved.

Sanjay

Just wanted to add, currently there is no way that I can do backup/restore using the Enterprise Manager as mentioned in some other message on the forum. There are file permission issues involved. The backup does happen but in a directory where I don't have FTP access. Same goes for restore.

Sanjay

I agree, the backup/restore issue is the biggest issue I have with the Jodohost services. There needs to be some method for users to be able to do our own backups and restores. Msot other hosts offer this and it is a must for anyone using SQL Server.

schooner said:
I agree, the backup/restore issue is the biggest issue I have with the Jodohost services.
Its certainly big on the wishlist for me too.

schooner said:
Most other hosts offer this and it is a must for anyone using SQL Server.
Is that really true? I guess I haven't looked very hard but I'm yet to find a low cost host that gives the customer a way to generate and download a MS SQL backup without human help. I don't think there is any off the shelf way of doing it so something needs to be custom built as Stephen has talked about from time to time.

Ross

tetranz said:
Its certainly big on the wishlist for me too.

Is that really true? I guess I haven't looked very hard but I'm yet to find a low cost host that gives the customer a way to generate and download a MS SQL backup without human help. I don't think there is any off the shelf way of doing it so something needs to be custom built as Stephen has talked about from time to time.

Ross

WH4L offer it, 1and1 offer it. Those are two I have used. You can't get much more discount than WH4L.

Custom built or not I don't really care, but others do offer it.

One of the things that makes it hard to run is the fact that we are in a cluster, and the mssql side has limited web services.

I was working on a way to provide backups, but restores will be problematic any way about it. People will import tables that contain users not on the server, and won't be able to access them, people might even leave tables with a username that could already exist on the server and give access to someone that is not them as well, so I am curious about the restore issue, as I tihnk it will create a higher workload on us than doing the restores with the notice that we give about it needed tables/objects owned by DBO to work properly.

Stephen said:
One of the things that makes it hard to run is the fact that we are in a cluster, and the mssql side has limited web services.

I was working on a way to provide backups, but restores will be problematic any way about it. People will import tables that contain users not on the server, and won't be able to access them, people might even leave tables with a username that could already exist on the server and give access to someone that is not them as well, so I am curious about the restore issue, as I tihnk it will create a higher workload on us than doing the restores with the notice that we give about it needed tables/objects owned by DBO to work properly.

Stephen, All I can say is many other hosts do handle it somehow.

With that said, if you could at least offer a means to do a backup, that would be 75% of the equation as at least then we could get offsite backups easily. As is requesting a backup say on a daily basis would be a a PITA. Restores are more of an as needed thing on the hosted side. Typically backups are needed more often for offsite copies as well as for duplicating the production data for testing and as a backup for server failure.

I would agree with that as well. Although I would love to be able to do my own restore... I fully understand the issues with allowing it and certainly can live with it.

Back