Dual Opterons coming soon

Yash

Bass
Just to let you guys know, we have decided to make a major change in our hardware aquisition and have chosen to opt for the Opteron processor line instead of the XEONs.. We have ordered are first batch of Dual Opteron SCSI servers.. You'll see Web6, Win15, Mail5, MSSQL8 and other upcoming servers as dual opterons now..

configuration:
Dual Opteron 246
4GB of DDR RAM
73GB U320 SCSI Hot-Swap x 3 RAID5

These are an expensive batch of servers. We are using some really nice hardware in them and we expect to be getting better performance out of them then the XEON SATA servers we've been using

That's great news. The Opteron is a magnificent processor, and personally I've come to prefer all AMD chips over the Intel. Offering such top-of-the-line equipment should only solidify Jodohost as one of the premiere hosting companies.

the AMD is one thing, these servers offer significant improvements over our older SCSI servers we were using. We have bought nice Seagate U320 hard disks compared to the older U160 disks we purchased 2 years ago..

Also, these AMD servers are dual channel SCSI compared to single channel in the older SCSI versions. That means the 3 disks on the system will share 640mbps compared to 320mbps on the older systems..

We have decided to go all SCSI from now on. We had a brief try with SATA last year (2005). The results were good but we think that the slight gain SCSI gives us in performance will overall benefit us in the long term.. SATA drives use the CPU as a controller, and as a result, they put a significant strain on SATA based database and email servers

So with an eye on further improving performance and reliability, we've chosen to adopt this new line of servers.. We over time, plan to upgrade servers with loads on the highish side to the new line

Most parts will arrive between Monday - Wednesday..

We should have Win15 and Web6 up by next weekend..

Sounds great. As an ex-AMD employee (for 6 years), I definitely favor AMD's chips. It's made it much easier now since they kill Xeons on all benchmarks, especially benchmarks for database transaction and web hosting.

I'm guessing, dual cores aren't going to be used? What line of servers did you order? I have a lot of experience with HP's single unit Operton servers and have never had a problem, though I'm guessing you've gotten something different (they only hold two harddrives, doesn't make it possible for raid5).

Hello Jonyah,

We are going to stick with supermicro aplus like(not on supermicro mainpage, due to intel strongarm) www.supermicro.com/aplus

We are not going dual-core initially, but the boards are ready and we can move that way any time.

Future SQL servers however will be dual core, as we get benefit(with amd) of two CPUs in one cpu license(as per Microsoft)

Nice, I hear lots of good things about supermicro, just haven't had any personal experience with their hardware.

No actually, we plan to go Dual Core on the database servers..

I am hoping to have a Dual Core MSSQl8 server towards the end of this month

Yash, I'm on Win5. I am generally happy with the current performance, which in recent months actually seems to be getting better. But, like everyone, I wouldn't might something slightly faster! Are there any plans to upgrade Win5 or some of the other older servers?

Thanks

Nathan

www.agni.gr

Nathan said:
Yash, I'm on Win5. I am generally happy with the current performance, which in recent months actually seems to be getting better. But, like everyone, I wouldn't might something slightly faster! Are there any plans to upgrade Win5 or some of the other older servers?

Thanks

Nathan

www.agni.gr

Or the ability to move to the faster servers?

Back