E-mail spam filtering

SubSpace

Bass
I've read in an old post on this board that there was no intention to support e-mail spam filtering because people would complain about false positives.

Now, I run my own mailserver on my Linux machine here, and I've set it up so that every user can decide if they want spam detection done or not, through a simple webinterface.

It also allows per-user sensitivity settings for both spam marking and complete deletion, toggling of RBL usage, blacklisting, whitelisting, etc. All this information is stored in a (My)SQL database which is then used by spamassassin.
The whole thing also does virus scanning/automatic deletion on all mail, but that's a fairly seperate system.

I have never tested it on a large scale, but I doubt it would cause performance problems considering the low specs of my home server (PIII 450 MHz also doing lots of other things).
qmail and vpopmail are not Exim of course, but a similar setup should be possible.

I think SpamAssassin would be great. I use it on another provider and they allow each mail box to control its settings on or off, tag or delete and the level of detection.

Saves me a lot of time.

Markey

spamassassin does a good job, especially if you stay updated and maybe add a couple custom rules, because spam is everchanging to get around spam detection :(

I admit that the interface I currently use for the system isn't too user friendly perhaps, but it gets the job done :)

I plan on adding support for Bayesian filtering at some point too, but I haven't found a way to do that on a per-user basis yet, and how to best go about adding it in a user friendly manner.

Back