E-mail virus scanning options

The H-Sphere 2.4 setup uses ClamAV as well by the way, and I use it on my home server as well.

I'm pretty satisfied with the results so far. The only virus e-mails that gotten through were the ones which somehow arrived without any attachment whatsoever (though the text was referring to an attachment).
4000+ virus mails intercepted on my personal mail account so far :)

yorri said:
While you are there you will see there that 2.4 is still just in beta release so Jodohost cannot install this yet nor do they know when 2.4 will be released officially. Jodohost will install it when there is a stable release (which means that Jodohost cannot give a date for installation because they don't know when it will be released.)

All that Jodohost can do this, Jodohost can do that... are you now an employee of JH? [grin]

I hope that JH doesn't jump on the release as soon as it is made available. I would rather wait until it is confirmed to be a stable product before JH installs it. Just my $0.25 worth.

Hi,
I have an account with jodohost and one of my domains is receiving 10-20 email viruses per day. Is there any way to setup virus scanning with hsphere so the virus emails are rejected/filtered?

Tightline said:
Hi,
I have an account with jodohost and one of my domains is receiving 10-20 email viruses per day. Is there any way to setup virus scanning with hsphere so the virus emails are rejected/filtered?

One of my clients got 12 virus e-mail out of 18 e-mails the other day in one batch. Thats what made me ask.

Logan said:
All that Jodohost can do this, Jodohost can do that... are you now an employee of JH? [grin]

No I am not an employee of Jodohost but because this has been discussed many times elsewhere on the forum I know what is to be expected and I follow the beta releases on Psoft's website because I am looking forward to the 2.4 release and many of it's coming features.

I am also aware that Hspere is not a product written by Jodohost. This means Jodohost cannot do anything until Psoft integrates the features into Hsphere because this is the software that they use to run their business and it is complicated to plugin 3rd party applications.

Also, before someone elses asks again....The version of Hspere that Jodohost uses right now DOES NOT provide the capability to block or detect virus OR Spam email. All email will be sent to your email boxes.

If you have a problem with spam or viruses, install an anti-virus program AND/OR Spam software on your computer. There are many good programs already on the market for this, including free ones. I am sure more people are doing this already but I feel it's worth suggesting.

We should have both an anti-virus system and SPAM protection system up late next week.

The anti-virus system would simply remove viruses before you download them while the SPAM system would mark all suspected emails as *SPAM* so you can configure your email client to move them to your Trash can

Yash said:
The anti-virus system would simply remove viruses before you download them while the SPAM system would mark all suspected emails as *SPAM* so you can configure your email client to move them to your Trash can

Sounds perfect. I cant wait (but I'll have to).

:]

I am looking forward to both but especially the virus thing. Personally if a message has a virus I want it thrown out alltogether. I have yet to see a legite message come with a virus.

As far as the comments about scan it after you get it.... I don't care to ever waste the bandwidth in the first place on trash e-mails..

Basically there are two ways to handle the spam/virus email problem: 1) delete the message at the server so the user never see's the message, or 2) flag it in some way so the user can see the message and optionally automate it's disposal.

There are pros and cons to both methods, but I believe the fact is that option 2 is the best thing to do because it puts full control in the user's hands. The user can receive all messages and manually go through them or they can easily setup someting to detect the flag and move them to a different folder or delete the message. Imagine if a client/customer sends you an email with a virus attached and it gets deleted on the server. You have no clue that the message was ever sent. This could cause a problem.

While option 2 is not perfect, it puts full control in the end user's hands to do whatever they want. Option 1 removes our control and is much less flexible.

As I said, there are pros and cons to both. Neither is perfect. But I think it is best to present the end user with the info and tools necessary to make their own decision. I don't want my ISP/host making my decisions for me. This is just my 2 cents. It sounds like Yash is going to set it up so we have full control (option 2) and I'm happy about that.

I'm with Brawney on this one...I've seen systems where flagging is used and was very impressed with results.

I don't think it is right when an email goes missing in cyberspace because noone knows what happened and everyone scratches their heads and cannot resolve the problem(s) for the future.

I agree with you guy but my personal way to deal with viral e-mail is to never see it.

The spam issue is a little different. I have yet to see a spam program work correctly so you do need control over that. If there are parameters we can set then we can select whats best for our needs.

Viral is pretty simple. Its either got a virus or it doesn't. If it does I don't want to bother with it regardless of the fact I have virus software installed.

Just my pair of zinc filled copper clad worthless coins. :)

Back