Email 2 DB

snooper

Perch
hey folks.

i am considering a feature of a new system, where people can email a certain email, which will then get 'scanned' into a database.

does anyone have a clue what is required for this to work?

assume my setup is ASP/MS-SQL on a Jodo server.

cheers :)

snooper,

Assuming you mean that the application would run in a shared hosting environment (such as jodohost) and the people who send the emails would compose them on and send them from their own email client (Outlook, Eudora, etc.), most of what you want to do can be done without much difficulty.

Among the many 3rd party components Jodohost has installed, is a product called ASPPOP3. This is an ActiveX component that allows you to access a mailbox from your ASP script using POP3. Once the email(s) is/are retrieved, the various email parts (to, from, subject, body, etc.) are available to your script via properties. I must confess that, although I used the ASPPOP3 component once a few years ago and it did work, I do not have much experience with it. Perhaps someone else here has more experience with it and can shed more light on the matter.

Once you retrieve the email data from the mailbox, it is a pretty simple task to take the email data from the properties and insert it into a database. However, I did state the following in the first paragraph, ?most of what you want to do can be done without too much difficulty.? The part that I am not sure about is exactly what would trigger the asp page to run and do all the work. Figure that out and you've got yourself a system.

riley

Thanks for the reply, riley.
this is good news!
the actual activation will have to be trgiggered by time, or something, but i guess this is a minor issue.

thanks again!
i'm off to read about ASPPPOP3

the actual activation will have to be trgiggered by time, or something, but i guess this is a minor issue.

I'm not sure this will be a minor issue. I don't think there is any way to do scheduled executions on the Windows servers at Jodohost, although I could be wrong.

riley

Back