Email Attachment Size

Dardalius

Perch
Hi all

I've just found out that email has an attachment limit on it of 4 meg. I have been informed by your quick and helpful support staff that making this any bigger will slow down the mail server.

Is there anyway around this as I have a number of clients who send larger mails, up to 6 meg in size.

I don't want to slow down the mail but I'd like to know how it would slow mail down, does it slow mail down which doesn't have an attachment?

Also I think more and more people now expect to be able to send larger email. The NHS had a limit of 6 meg when I worked there last year and I think this trend will continue.

Thanks for you time

David :)

I agree, Everything get bigger, CPU speed increases, Disks increase, bandwith increases, files increase. And so limits should increase. Hotmail has 10mb doesnt it?

4mb does seem bit on the small side nowadays I must admit. But I have no probs so far.

I didn't know Hotmail was now 10 mb. We need to be able to compete with a free service. I've just checked and Yahoo mail also supports 10mb attachments (with 1gb of storage!!!!)

An afterthought. Is there a new version of Horde available? On RC I've just logged into my webmail and horde looks very different. Could this be a template and if it is can we install our own Horde templates?

Been here less than a week and the trouble I'm causing... :]

I will see what we can do on the email sizes, by having a talk with with unix manager.

Stephen, I would like to find out what is the size limit for the message sent through Jodohost email server (sent from or to hosted here account). Ocasionally I am geting this question from my clients.

I am noticing a trend where employees of the same company prefer to share files by sending them via email instead of putting in the shared folder on the LAN. Any idea how to fight with that?

I think it is as was mentioned above, but wow, emailing instead of LAN, so they would rather waste time sending and receiving emails(haha sorry, but LAN is SOOO MUCH faster!), so they don't have to work? Sounds like a common mentality in today's world :(

What would be great is if psoft made a seperate available email account manager so customers who don't need a web interface can be given control adding, editing and deleting email accounts themselves...... with us in control of default size and mailbox quantity. 8o

Back