Email Backup

GTHMPSN

Guppy
We went into the control panel today and a customers domain is missing. I check with live chat and they have it from 3 days ago but not now. ?( They tell me to place a support ticket to have it restored. They restored it but not the email accounts. This is a package deal for the clients, the email accounts are as important as the domain. I don't need the email, just the accounts. User don't remember passwords once setup, now I have to recreate the accounts and also help the client to setup their outlook. All this because a domain came up missing and they don't backup email.

This is not ok. Why cant you at least backup email accounts.

contrary, we DO backup email accounts, we backup the entire data. Restoring that data on a per domain basis is a very time consuming process to get that data back and not considered a free service. Restoring a single domain may take 1-3 hours of dedicated time to the tech as they have to pull backups , extract, only selective portions, then the mail configs etc, it is not a single point, and if it isn't in the DB it means reconstructing the entire DB to match the mail server as well, otherwise any action in the CP will kill the mail services.

by any chance were they deleting a subdomain or other function and deleted the domain itself? This has happened numerous times.

I can understand that, but that wasn't what support said.
"We do not keep email backup. " was the reply in the ticket.

The user does not have access to the control panel, only me. The only thing done in the cp on the 10th was to create an ftp account for a different domain. I am pretty sure it would have been obvious if we deleted a domain (have to confirm). We have not accessed the cp since then, and since there was a backup on the 10th I would think it happened the next day. I am not sure how it disappeared. We are up and running, we will have to come up with a different solution to document what email address exist. You can imagine the difficulty in supporting this.

Thanks for the reply.

Back