Email connection slow

Discussion in 'Email Support' started by WineIsGood, Aug 20, 2003.

1. WineIsGood

WineIsGood Perch

There was a time, long ago, when connection to the mail servers was quick and painless. Recently, however, connecting to receive mail is very slow. Once connected, mail flows freely. Any reason for this?
    -Dave
  2. Logan

Logan Perch

I've noticed this too. I thought it was just me :) Yash?
  3. riley

riley Perch

Same here...
  4. Yash

Yash Bass

We're looking into this ....
  5. WineIsGood

WineIsGood Perch

It almost seems as though there is a server somewhere in the chain of events which is timing out, and when it does, a fall-back method is used which works immediately... I say this only because it seems to be the same delay every time. Only a timeout value could reproduce something like this so perfectly...
    -Dave
  6. Yash

Yash Bass

We really found nothing wrong on the mail server and forwarded this issue to our datacenter to see if it was something to do with network congestion. This is what they said:

7. StPatrick

StPatrick Perch

That's true, I just got an e-mail from my ISP, that talks about this problem
  8. WineIsGood

WineIsGood Perch

Re: Re: Email connection slow

Normally, I'd agree with this explaination, and I certainly understand what this worm is doing to email servers, including our own here at work. However, the "slow-connect" phenomenon I've noticed started well before these recent worms took hold. I have many email accounts here and I've timed each one trying to connect to your servers. Each one begins with a perfect 25 second delay, each and every time. Not 24 and not 26 seconds, regardless of the time of day or night. From my vast knowledge of computing systems ;-) I can only conclude that this must be some kind of timeout occuring. No amount of Internet email traffic or bottleneck could cause such a perfect delay in 100% of the test cases during all parts of the day and night. Know what I mean?
    -Dave
  9. Yash

Yash Bass

Dave, we will be performing some tests today and try to determine what is causing this "perfect" delay before authorization.
  10. Yash

Yash Bass

OK, we now believe that it has to do with the 2 ips that have been bound to the nic. We are going to remove the old one later today. Let's see if that does the trick
  11. riley

riley Perch

That must have been the problem. I just checked mail on a couple mailboxes and it connected right away.
  12. Logan

Logan Perch

I concur. Things seems to very quick now.
  13. Yash

Yash Bass

Yep. That corrected it. Please let me know if any customers continue to face this problem
  14. WineIsGood

WineIsGood Perch

Yup. Good Job!
    -Dave