Email problems?

Anyone else having any trouble with email? I'm currently unable to send mail out (it just tries and tries to connect and never does). This has happened a couple times over the past week or so. I also seem to be getting incoming message late and my amount of incoming has also been low the past 3-4 days. I personally have had no instances that I know someone has sent a message for sure that I never recieved, but I generally get a pretty stable flow of incoming mail, so seeing a drop, combined with other problems, makes me suspicious.

More importantly, one of my clients has a web site hosted on Jodohost that sends him an email every time an order is placed. The messages are sent to his Jodo account. Over the past few days, two of the messages never made it to him. The site is run on ColdFusion and the messages are sent out with a basic CFMAIL tag. Additional actions performed with the order process page are being completed, so the script is not failing. No code has changed in about 3 months, so I'm left thinking this is a mail server issue.

Both my client and I are fully aware that email is not 100% reliable, which is why he checks the site regularly for orders and doesn't rely on email. But given his track record with Jodohost, numerous outages, unsatisfactory explainations, and other complaints he's had, I'd like to be able to tell him something more than "well, email's not 100% reliable." Before I submit a trouble ticket and get told there's nothing wrong, I figured I'd ask if anyone else has noticed anything unusual with the mail server...

P.S. The email I was trying to send out finally went out. Only took about 5 minutes to connect to the server....

There is nothing wrong with incoming email but yes, there is an issue with SMTP

What we did on August 27 is introduced RBL screening for SMTP connections. That has created alot of problems with SMTP connections

We are in the process of removing them, that should solve the issue once and for all. We are also introducing a secondary mail relay server that will take over incase the primary mail server has issues

We've had very few issues with our mail server in almost 2 years of operations. Any any outage has always been explained.

One of my clients is having a similar problem. For the past 3 days he has not received any email. He can send it but he gets an error when it tries to receive mail. I created a ticket about 5 hours ago but have not received a response yet. The ticket number is 33670.

Chris

as far as receiving emails, this may be a totally different configuration issue.

There is absolutely no issue with incoming email. The issue with SMTP has also been resolved

Hmmm... I've just realised that sending emails is not working for me either. I send confirmation emails from my website when people register an account. This was working, but my page now errors when I attempt to send the confirmation emails.

Have any smtp settings changed?

Daze said:
Hmmm... I've just realised that sending emails is not working for me either. I send confirmation emails from my website when people register an account. This was working, but my page now errors when I attempt to send the confirmation emails.

Have any smtp settings changed?

Change your site to use "localhost" as the SMTP host

I changed the smtp server from "mail.<domainname>.com" to localhost, and I now get the following message:

Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.

I'm also having problems sending mail. I opened a ticket four days ago and they told me that there is no problem sending mail and that it must be something I have done. As a work-around I have been using my cable company's SMTP server, but I would like to use yours.

The ticket I opened is 33947

-Jim

i just sent an email to a customer via the same SMTP server without issue. But yes, there are a few customers complaining about SMTP timeout issues and yes I can confirm that the SMTP server may become inaccessible for short periods of time during the day, intermittently. We are working to track down what's causing that issue

That is why I have asked Daze and anyone using website scripts to use "localhost" while sending emails

This problem happens for very short periods of time, about 4 or 5 times a day. Problem doesn't affect incoming email and would only prevent you from sending email for a short period of time

If you can't access the SMTp server at all, regardless of the time, please let me know

Yes, I am consistantly having this problem. I get the following error:

error.jpg

Back