email space management

jph

Perch
Aside from spam filtering (which is also a problem), the most common issue that I have to deal with as a user or as a reseller is mailboxes getting full.

I tell new clients that they NEED to be deleting email from the server, at least after a couple of days, and I give them instructions how to do that with popular email software. But inevitably someone lets things pile up, and I get quota messages and/or they complain that mail isn't working. I have to hand-hold them through cleaning out their box, and keeping it reasonable in the future.

This is a large waste of time.

Most personal email services out there (that you get with your ISP, for example) deal with this automatically. They set a rule, and they stick to it. For example, you get 100mb of space, as you approach that limit, any emails older than 10 days will be automatically deleted until you are below your quota again. (The actual limits may be different.)

A feature like that would probably save me (and many resellers, I am sure) literally 50% of my support issues and time.

Is there any tool out there that I could use as a reseller, or that Jodo could implement to do this simple but important job?

we implemented such a policy about 1.5 years ago and the backlash was so bad we stopped it.
It is hard to describe the comments but was horrible, we had proposed a 90 day policy I believe it was.

The way it works it can't really work per account as it would require a huge server load to scan every box, check quota, etc

Back