European Letter Domain Names

Hi Attiba

Unforunately, our system isn't designed to accept european characters.

I tried doing a WhoIs search on this domain from dnsstuff.com and checkdomain.com and both returned an "invalid domain format"

What I can do however is set this up for you manually. Simply create a 3rd level domain and we'd set up a DNS record for this domain manually on the server so it points to that 3rd level domain. I'm not sure this is going to work (I really don't know if our DNS server or DNS servers around the world are accepting these characters) but we can give it a try.

I would however recommend you stick with standard domains. ISPs could have problems resolving these sort of domains into IP Addresses. In the end, not everybody may be able to access your site

I have not seen domains with special characters like this working as of yet, I am thinking along the same lines as Yash in that you may even have DNS, or prehaps even web browser problems with such domains.

Try a whois from www.internic.at and just type

"?sterrike"

in the field. You are definitely right that a "traditional" domainname would prefer better - but it?s a great domainname.

The Browser Problems will soon be solved, you can download a plug-in from Verisign and the next generation Browser will probably support those Domainnames.

I think that there are no DNS Problem as the DNS actually is:
XN--STERRIKE-M4A.INFO

and not

?sterrike.info

What do you think

this should work fine.. companies have worked with this for many years already, and ??? (norwegian characters) have been available now for some emonths..

the DNS servers and Browsers have to be updated though

Back