Execute Permissions in MSSQL

BluJag

Perch
I've just seen this question in the FAQs over on the Reseller Help Desk

>>>>>>>>>>>
Problem
I am receiving this error while trying to run a script on my website: "EXECUTE permission denied on object 'abc', database 'qrs', owner 'dbo'"

How can I get DBO permissions on my MSSQL user for this database?

Solution
Please open a ticket with your database name, database server and the database user you wish to give DBO permissions to. This will have to be done manually by our support team
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

There is a way to do this your self, thus saving the support team time and effort.

Go to the MSSQL Manager from your control panel. Select the database, then click the Permissions icon. A long list will appear. Click the Execute box for each stored procedure and then click Save Permssions when you're done. It takes a while because the screen refreshes after each click.

Hmmm , i think you will not be able to connect through dts or enterprise manager unless you aready have the dbo on the dbase ?

You can't give yourself DBO :), you are just modifying a few permissions, but it is not the same as DBO at all.

BluJag said:
I've just seen this question in the FAQs over on the Reseller Help Desk

>>>>>>>>>>>
Problem
I am receiving this error while trying to run a script on my website: "EXECUTE permission denied on object 'abc', database 'qrs', owner 'dbo'"

How can I get DBO permissions on my MSSQL user for this database?

Solution
Please open a ticket with your database name, database server and the database user you wish to give DBO permissions to. This will have to be done manually by our support team
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

There is a way to do this your self, thus saving the support team time and effort.

Go to the MSSQL Manager from your control panel. Select the database, then click the Permissions icon. A long list will appear. Click the Execute box for each stored procedure and then click Save Permssions when you're done. It takes a while because the screen refreshes after each click.

I recently ran across this execution problem as well, when trying to try out and install WWG forums. Unfortunately, the MSSQL manager is still broken (ever since I joined Jodohost), as well as the mysql manager is broken. These have never been fixed and Im not the only one on these forums with this problem.

So your solution doesnt work on my servers.

I found a work around, but it requires going through every single object and checking off the permissions .. anyways, just use the FREE enterprise manager that comes with MSDE.

Back