Fail Reverse DNS for MX Records

Hi!

ERROR: The IP of one or more of your mail server(s) have no reverse DNS (PTR) entries (if you see "Timeout" below, it may mean that your DNS servers did not respond fast enough). RFC1912 2.1 says you should have a reverse DNS for all your mail servers. It is strongly urged that you have them, as many mailservers will not accept mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS entry. You can double-check using the 'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff site. The problem MX records are:
11.248.36.66.in-addr.arpa [No reverse DNS entry (rcode: 3 ancount: 0)]

Is anyone else experiencing this failure using the dnsreport.com?

This is occuring for all our domains.

I noticed jodohost.com does not have this issue.

I sent a trouble ticket in on this 03/19/04 and just got we are looking into this.

According to several forums I have read this is not supposed to be hard to correct.

Furthermore, I read that a growing number of email servers will reject email if the Reverse DNS does not work?

Finally, I do not think any client would be too thrilled to run this report and see any failure regarding their domain.

I've not read of a single mail server that rejects emails if the reverse MX record does not exist.

All domains on our system have been configured like this for the last 1 year (since we launched) and no one has reported any problems.

HSphere does not handle reverse DNS making it difficult for us to configure it manually. We will however look into this. But a point to note is that all the thousands of Hsphere hosts out there, they too don't have reverse DNS records for their domains

Back