FCKEditor

aliweb

Perch
Has any one used FCKEditor here?
I am unable to upload images and other files through FCKEditor and the error I get is

XML Request Error : Internal Server Error (500)

I am using ASP.net connector and have configured it. The path that I have defined in my web.config to upload images and files is the default one i.e. /UserFiles/

I have already created this folder with WRITE permissions but still not luck. Here is my directory structure

/root/default.aspx (website's homepage)

/root/FCKEditor

/root/UserFiles/Image (to upload images)

Any ideas?

I had the same error :(
But it was late and I was tired, I'm going to try again today.

Using Image Properties->Image Info->Browse Server returned a 500 error.

Using Image Properties->Advanced->Upload->Browse->Send to Server did uploaded images, but into /UserFiles/ directly, not into /UserFiles/Images/.

You know what, I'm a step behind you. How do I change the permissions on the folder ? I can't find that in the Hsphere's File Manager ...

ok a few questions.
windows or linux?

php, asp, asp.net? This editor works on all :)

ok a few questions.
windows or linux?

php, asp, asp.net? This editor works on all :)

Well, we're on the Microsoft Forum ;)

So, for me is Windows with Asp.Net 2.0.

I guess my problem start with permissions, I can't find how to set them. File Manger doesn't have the options that the File Manger has in linux accounts.

Correct, permissions can't be set using CHMOD on windows so they don't work.

You need to send a ticket for permissions request.

Just because it is in Microsoft section doesn't mean a lot, sometimes topics are in wrong places :)

I was giving full permissions and still I get the "XML Request Error : Internal Server Error (500)" error message.

For testing I created a website on a VPS account, I setup the site without doing anything special other than creating the site and giving the execute scripts permissions. Then I uploaded the same exact application. There the application ran without errors, I could browse the files nicely.

Are the websites created through the control panel most restrictive that the default website created manually?

I also asked to give permissions to "IUSR_<ComputerName>", they did it and the same problem.
I have no idea why a website setup with no special configuration ran fine and this, with added permissions is not working properly.

Yes to set permissions you need to open a ticket which I did in my case and it was promptly done.
As for that XML request error, I found a work around and that is to use ASP connector instead of ASP.Net.
I am using ASP connector and it is working fine now ;)
Don't know why ASP.Net connector is not working

ok first answer.

Yes VPS setup and shared setup are TOTALLY different.
IUSR_machine name on hsphere will do nothing at all, IUSR is not used at all, it runs under your FTP name.

Next, it may be a trust level issue that is preventing you from writing outside the application directory, it is the most likley cause.

Ok, I understand.

But I'm not trying to write outside the application directory.
I have a directory in my root named "UserFiles" and all files goes there. It worked on the VPS website I created.

Tell me this, if this application is trying to use (not to write) but just to use a physical path in the server side, even if it is correct, would it be denied ?
I mean if the files are being tried to be written to:
c:\Web\mysite.com\Userfiles\images\asdf.jpg

Would that be unnaceptable in the hsphere configuration, even if I do have permissions on that directory?

ok first answer.

Yes VPS setup and shared setup are TOTALLY different.
IUSR_machine name on hsphere will do nothing at all, IUSR is not used at all, it runs under your FTP name.

Next, it may be a trust level issue that is preventing you from writing outside the application directory, it is the most likley cause.

Ok, one hour later and some reading later.

I changed my machine.config and web.config to allow override trust trust level.
Then, even without using your custom medium trust, if I set the trust level to high, it still didn't work. With full trust, it worked. A couple of testing and switching to make sure and could confirm then yes, the darn thing wants full trust level to run.
I guess that's a bad thing, right? :(

Yes, it is not good. and it confirms what I thought would be the problem, now the errors it is giving have not been useful to this point, we just need to ID exactly WHAT is making it fail in order to have a chance to resolve it.

I ran a side by side comparisson and I see that your custom medium trust is a bit more loosen than default. That's a nice :D
Sadly, that didn't help on this case.

I almost bet that it is related with the IO permissions which are restricted to the application directory in your custom medium trust.
I have the sources for FCKEditor and I see it uses IO.Path operations to retrieve the lists of files.

I'm debugging it right now, I'll update on this later.

Back