File disappeared from server

I was working via ftp editing directly on the server, and when i tried to save a file, it gave me an error, and then the file disappeared from the server.

Is there a way i can get that file back? maybe from last night's backup or something? i really don't want to start over on that file...

ok, did that. i hope i can get a recent version of this file back. if not, i lost 4-5 hours worth of work :(

guess that's what you get for working remotely and editing files directly on the server :)

I see your ticket there, someone will work on extracting the backups here shortly, bear with them as it can take some time to extract the backup for just one file.

When I edit files directly over FTP, I always use UltraEdit. You can set up a local copy directory in it and it will save the file in there as well as remotely. It has saved files from exactly this situation on a few occasions :)

We restored the file from backups, hopefully not too much work was lost.

BTW, I would recommend downloading all the files via FTP, just so you have a local backup to work from. 8)

i normally do the same... upload a local copy, but i was just making a quick edit remotely and didn't expect to lose the file when i saved it... lesson learned :)

It did.

I was already in the process of rewriting the code when the file was restored... but it saved me the time of having to re do the whole page.

Back