FileSystemObject?

StPatrick

Perch
From this post, in Pre-sales forum, I've got that FileSystemObject is not allowed... Hmm.. strange, I use it in several places (not creating/altering files, but getting folder's list, file sizes, etc.), and it works fine. Is it something that going to be disabled, or I misunderstood something? :)

no. FSO is available on Win1 and Win2 machines but is not available on Win4 (where new users are being signed up). The reason is because FSO is classified as a high-risk component by many many windows providers. By high-risk, i mean that it could be used to exploit poor windows security. Therefore, we'd like security on Win4 to mature before it is enabled there

I'm on Win2 and I use FSO to write to my guestbook on one of my websites. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm on win2? It's eisenberghome.com and it's been working since the first day I registered; but I can imagine some windows hosts disabling this component because of possible security risks. If the IIS user account isn't secured well enough, you can write a script which opens any file in any directory and do anything you want.
-Dave

Yep, mine works as well. I'm on Win2 too. But as I got from Yash's answer, this is a temporary restriction for Win3 host

what happened? 2 posts suddenly appeared and disappeared from this thread which were posted under my username but which I had never actually written.

what happened was that I had actually made those posts but they appeared under your username because one of our developers was also working with the forum's MySQL database at the same time. I don't know what he did but it came under your username. He then deleted those posts. We are in the process of switching this to vBulletin.

This is what I had said:

Wineisgood.com is on Win2 if I recall. FSO is fully functional on Win1 and Win2. Win4 is a new server for new customers. We still have to make lots of security and permission adjustments for it to be able to accept a high-risk component like FSO. I'm hoping that would be completed within a week.

There is no such thing as Win3. Win3 is actually mssql3 which is a new dedicated SQL Server 2000 server

Back