Flash remoting for login

Rashid

Guppy
Hi,
I am working on Flash MX 2004. Can some one give me code sample how to authenticate Username and Password using SQL server 2000 by Flash remoting? I can't find anything to make that. Confusing.

Thanks

With coldfusion, I'm pretty sure "flash remoting" means interfacing with coldfusion only through webservices, being .cfc's. Yes, I know you can flash remote to other ML's(meta languages) like PHP and ASP, but I think that only remotes to those as webservices also. It doesn't get true integration in that you can't have it interact with a pure form of your ML, but rather functions instead. You can make things simple, or as complicated as you want. Really what goes on though, is that your Flash app sends data to your coldfusion webservice, the webservice uses that information to do whatever it needs to do, then returns the processed work back to your Flash app.

I'm not really sure about this, but I don't think Flash/Database interactions are really considered to be "Flash Remoting." It depends how you look at it I guess. It's the same in that you do send it information, then it uses that to process a result and returns that result to the Flash app. But, Its different in that you don't design the database to function as a webservice, like you would with a Flash/Coldfusion remoting setup. The database is dumb, more or less, and it doesn't require any special setup like ML Flash remoting does.

In your case, you can design a .cfc which recieves input from your Flash app in the form of Username and Password. Then, the coldfusion .cfc(webservice) queries the database, validating the user and returning a message to the Flash app that the user is legit. I don't know if Flash has the ability to do stuf like binds (<cfqueryparam>) which helps to prevent malicious code from executing on your database. I don't think it does though. I gotta learn me some flash is what I gotta do. Anyway, I suppose you could hard code some input validation into Flash (when I say validation I don't just mean data formats, but also screening out malicious code), but that'd be a pain in the assr most likely, and thats where Flash remoting comes in handy. To make the .cfc, you just build a fancy function, telling the function that its a webservice so it knows, stupid function.

Whoops if im wrong on anything ---^ & of course you'll need to know some decent Coldfusion and actionscripting. Theres no way around that.

Back