Forwarding & Blacklisting

timruns

Perch
I just got this as an email from a much larger (in my perception) competitor hosting company (webhost4life) with which I still have a small acct. It just goes to show everyone that all shared hosting compaines are having this same problem...

Please do not reply to this email.

Dear customer,

Effective today 12/4/2006, all email being automatically forwarded to AOL will be discarded. Notification on this was sent a few weeks ago. Below is a copy of the notification email we sent.

Thank you for your continued support.

*********** Previous Notification Email *************** Due to the increase in Web Hosting companies including ourselves being blacklisted by AOL's automated SPAM filter from time to time, effective Wednesday 12/4/2006, all email being automatically forwarded to AOL will be discarded.

You will be given a choice of being migrated to a machine that will continue to allow AOL forwards. However, you'll be using it at your own risk of getting blacklisted by AOL spam filter.

We have tried every possible solution working with AOL, but have been unable to come to an acceptable solution.
AOL's automated SPAM filter is simply unable to determine what is SPAM and what is a forward.

Here's a break down of the problem:
--------------------------------------------------------

1) You setup an auto forwarder from your domain to your AOL email account ([email protected] -> [email protected]).
2) Your customers send emails to [email protected] and the emails gets forwarded to [email protected]
3) One day you receive some spam at [email protected], which was auto forwarded directly to [email protected].
4) You open your [email protected] mail box and see the spam, so click to Mark it as SPAM and add it to your AOL spam filter .
5) AOL's spam filter does not register the originator of the email as the spammer - instead, it registers the last place the email came from as the spammer. And in this case and the last place the email came from is our email server which hosts [email protected].
6) AOL will then blacklist the entire mail server, so that no one can send email to any AOL email accounts.

What do I need to do?
--------------------------------------------------------
You need to login to your email admin and go through your email accounts and take off any forwarding that forwards email to AOL account. Also check to make sure your email Alias is not forwarding to AOL email account.

Although it might be an inconvenience to many, I think this decision is necessary in order to protect all of our valuable customers from being blacklisted by AOL.
AOL certainly does nothing to investigate the source of the spam and would rather shut down a server than take a minute to check it out. It's unfortunate but is in everyone's best interests.

Please note, this does not mean you cannot send emails to AOL email accounts. This simply means you cannot set your email account to auto forward emails to AOL email accounts. You will still be able to compose your own email to AOL users, and you will be able to forward an email to AOL users from your mailbox manually.

If you wish to be migrated to an email server that allows AOL forwards, please submit a support request via our helpdesk.

Thank you for your continued support.

Please do not reply to this email.

It is an issue with AOl but at least they have an open policy and will report to you the REASONs, unlike comcast and some others that are simply not reasonable.

Back