Front Page Permissions

Floppie

Guppy
Hello. First and foremost I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum - I spent a few minutes trying to figure out which was the best and just gave up... :)

I've been trying to configure additional users for one of my FrontPage web sites (as an author in order to use DWT) although I can't get this user to log in via Front Page. I know (er, think) that I'm doing everything correct - does anyone have any suggestions?

Please advise.

Thanks!!!

- Josh

I have a suggestion, and that is not to attempt using mor ethan one user. Some customer have gotten additional users working properly, but they don't always work right, and they change permissions on files, which is not good. When the permissions change it removes the user permissions that allow the website to open, so it gives a password prompt.

While I can see this could cause problems, the entire purpose of using FrontPage 2003 with DWT templates is to have some users as administrator and some users as authors. I would love to use another solution but one doesn't exist. Maybe a free ASP CMS, but a good one still doesn't exist.

Re: Front Page Permissions work better here than GoDaddy

I really like how FPE work here. All the cust sites I administer I just publish - same username, same password

I complained to GoDaddy that I had 5 domains hosted by them and they all REQUIRED a unique userName.

For me this is a HUGE advantage. :D

Also, goDaddy used to twiddle the bits on my htm files and cause FP to think the files at goDaddy were more current. I don't know if they were virus checking or something and needed to timestamp the file - or maybe they put a comment into the file. This was also a headache. X(

So far I'm Very Happy here (but don't rest on your laurals :)) 8)

One caveat - if you accidentally get index.htm and index.html in your domain directory ( myDom.com ), using http:myDom.com will always select http:myDom.com/index.html
and you pull your hair wondering why your new index.htm is not showing up. ?(

FP with DWT as a premission scheme is not designed to work with a generic hosting company. You really need to use AD with your test machine. Once the site is tested or ready the admin uploads the pages

The note about default pages is very correct, you can also set the directory indexed from the control panel to give one order over the other.

Okay, I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and notes, but using a Frontpage website with mutliple usernames DOES work correctly in a hosting environment, atleast it did using FrontPage 2000 Extentions.

If it can't be done because of the control panel software or just because it's a pain to do, that's fine - but it does work.

Does anyone have any suggestions then how to give limited control to end-users?

(in my past life I worked for a web hosting provider, well amoung other things, and we did this all the time)

Floppie, you are welcome to try it, give me the servername you are on and I will give you the FP "Virtual Server" admin settings for your site and you can create users, if websites start popping up asking for passwords, you know what is wrong, and will need to send a ticket and request we fix what frontpage messed up.

Back