FTP problems

AndyLL

Perch
I've never been able to connect to my VPS in passive mode. (even though I connect that way to the shared servers)

Suddenly... in the last few days I can't connect with an active connection. I recieve an 500 invalid port command. I don't think anything with my router or firewall has changed. ( I did upgrade FileZilla but I also tried another FTP)

I'd prefer to use the passive mode so I don't have to worry about it. Is there a way to setup the VPS to do this?

Andy

I ran the script and passive still doesn't work. I get:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Microsoft FTP Service
Command: USER ***
Response: 331 Password required for ***.
Command: PASS *******
Response: 230 User aspenlf logged in.
Command: SYST
Response: 215 Windows_NT
Command: FEAT
Response: 211-FEAT
Response: SIZE
Response: MDTM
Response: 211 END
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I.
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (204,10,108,163,6,138).
Command: LIST
Response: 425 Can't open data connection.
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

ok for a test, go to the network section and turn OFF the firewall for a moment to see if ti works after that(I don't recommend keeping it this way but it will isolate the issue to firewall on server side or something else)

ok for a test, go to the network section and turn OFF the firewall for a moment to see if ti works after that(I don't recommend keeping it this way but it will isolate the issue to firewall on server side or something else)

That's the issue. Firewall off and it works.

I then took a look at the firewall.... by default it only allows FTP ports 5500-5550

It looks like the shared servers have a lot more ports available.

It also looks like a pain to open ports in the firewall (it has to be done port by port)

Is there a way to tell IIS what port range to use for passive connections?

Andy

To: AndyLL
I wonder if you did find solution for this problem?

I tried the Solution Stephen suggested, I ran the script (successfully as much as i could see that in the metabase.xml) but unfortunately it did not work for me.
After a half a day of trying and googeling I gave up and decided to use filezilla server which worked out great.

Cheers
Vita

To: AndyLL
I wonder if you did find solution for this problem?

I tried the Solution Stephen suggested, I ran the script (successfully as much as i could see that in the metabase.xml) but unfortunately it did not work for me.
After a half a day of trying and googeling I gave up and decided to use filezilla server which worked out great.

Cheers
Vita

In many ways filezilla server is great, if it is working for you go for it :)

I wish more Control Panels officially supported it.

Back