"FTPS with TLS for connection" vs "FTPS with TLS for connection/data"

Hi All,
I have some queries on FTPS :

1. Is there any way where we can encrypt data session through Curl.
2. Is curl support control session encryption by default?

3. As our client is interacting through FTPS so control session is always encrypted (Please correct me if I am wrong). How can we test the same through curl command.

4. But some of clients are sending either encrypted file or un-encrypted files. So for those clients who are not sending encrypted data to our environment, we have to encrypt data session. How to do this?

5. Can we use data session encryption for every client irrespective of whether they are sending encrypted or un-encrypted files? is there any cons for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Sachin

It doesn't answer your question, but.. I would suggest using SFTP instead.
It's a totally different protocol and runs over SSH* (usually SSH 2) and it's starting to see more and more support on different platforms.

One advantage is that it doesn't have a separate control and data connection, so it's less problematic when it comes to routing. It also means everything is encrypted ;) Also SSH supports data compression, which might come in handy depending on your application.

*: Technically, it's possible to run SFTP over a wide variety of protocols as it's designed as a subsystem that's independent of the connection it runs on.

It doesn't answer your question, but.. I would suggest using SFTP instead.
It's a totally different protocol and runs over SSH* (usually SSH 2) and it's starting to see more and more support on different platforms.

One advantage is that it doesn't have a separate control and data connection, so it's less problematic when it comes to routing. It also means everything is encrypted ;) Also SSH supports data compression, which might come in handy depending on your application.

*: Technically, it's possible to run SFTP over a wide variety of protocols as it's designed as a subsystem that's independent of the connection it runs on.
Hi Marko,
It is really nice to check your response. As We have already configured FTPS in our production server so at this point we can't go for SSH as per your suggestion.

My question was:
Is it good to have data encrption irrespective of whether client sends encrypted or un-encrypted files?

Looking for your favorable response on the same.

Regards
Sachin

Back