HELP: Backing Up Databases

MidWest

Perch
Hi.

It seems JodoHost is doing a good job with hosting now. The support seems to be good too. I have registered for 1 month again to test things out and only one thing is annoying to me.

There is no way for me to make a complete backup of my databases. I am not allowed to use Enterprise Manager to make backups of MS SQL databases onto my own computer, and I cannot use MySQL Administrator to make backups of MySQL databases on my computer.

I am allowed to use PhpMyAdmin to make an export backup of my database but from what I was told in live chat, only up to 10 MB.

Anything larger then 10MB I need to create a special support ticket and have JodoHost do the backup for me.

I will need daily backups of my database so this is going to become an extreme pain for both me and JodoHost. I will have to make a ticket everyday and someone will have to take time to make me a backup everyday. I'm sure JodoHost tech support has better things to do then backup my database every night.

I don't understand why I am not allowed to backup my own databases, why cant this be changed??( ?(

I like JodoHost but it will be the deciding factor if I stay past my 1 month subscription or not. If I am going to pay for the whole year, I will need to be able to backup my own databases. Both MS SQL and MySQL.

Someone please explain why this is such a problem. I haven't ever had this problem with any other host before.?( ?(

Our MySQL servers are externally accessible, so you can use any compatible tool that allows you to take backups, like MySQL administrator, Aqua Data Studio or if you have local MySQL installed, you can use mysqldump.

On the other hand, backup option in MS Enterprise Manager works only for local databases and not for remote ones. So it is something by design and not a restriction placed by us. You can always use the DTS Wizard in Enterprise manager to replicate to your local copy of the DB.

Well can someone from the staff please contact me and tell me how to make a complete backup then?

I have tried the H-Sphere backup tool, and was told in Live Chat by Prakash that the H-Sphere tool had a limit of 10MB for backup. Anything more then 10MB and I needed to send a support ticket to have the backup done.

Our MySQL servers are externally accessible, so you can use any compatible tool that allows you to take backups, like MySQL administrator, ...

This really makes you mad when 3 people from the same company are telling me 3 different stories. I am not trying to be rude but I would just like to know one simple question.

How do I make a backup of MySQL Database to my computer. I need a complete backup. I cannot have a 10MB limit. I need everything.

I was told it was not possible by two support persons, and then I get told it is possible. I don't know what I am supposed to do....:( If it is possible then I am back to my original question and that is how do I fix the error I was getting when trying to backup with MySQL Administrator.

HELP

This is not the backup tool.

In your control panel go to Account Backups, then you can select it from a drop down and select the location for backup :)

Ok, Thank You. I tried the Account Backup tool. Looks like it might work. But I was given a file *.tar.gz. I have no idea what this file type is. I assume some type of compression binary. My computer doesn't reconize it either. How do I use this file? I need the backup in .sql format so I can verify it, and restore it if needed.

Is there a special program I need to download to reconize the file type?

Thanks Again.

It is in SQL format, install an application like Filzip or WinRAR and it will unzip it right away :)

(or are you on non windows pc?)

Ok, I figured it was some type of compression file. I will try to find WinRAR.

Does this backup method have a size limit like the phpMyAdmin export option, and does it make a complete backup of my database tables/data?

Its making complete backup then delievering to you in the chosen method. Compression is just becasue well SQL can be highly bloated in size, say 40MB database, in SQL it is just text and will compress down to less than 1MB most of the time.

Well I have a backup now, I think. Its a text format not SQL format. Not sure if it makes a difference but I tried to open it with MySQL Administrator to verify the backup and it says its an unreconized or unsupported file type even though its in text format. So I'm not sure what to do.

I would like to be able to validate the backup somehow, to make sure its not just a bunch of garbage when I ever need to restore it.

@Midwest, sorry, I can't help with MS SQL backups. I don't do anything with MS SQL. But, I can give you some help with MySQL backups.

For remote access, I like the old MySQL-Front. I use it in development (create local and then upload to JodoHost), for transferring new clients, and occasionally for backups. You can grab a copy from my site at http://skypanther.com/tools.php I don't like the newer commercial version as much, though it supports the newer MySQL server versions better. It's worth paying the $30 or whatever to have on hand when the old freeware version doesn't work.

For backups, I have installed MySQL on a local development server and then use mysqldump to do backups. I created a DOS batch file, which I schedule (Windows Task Scheduler) to run as-needed, that creates a backup. Of course, you use some of your transfer quota in the process. Here's a sample of my batch file:

Code:
REM      Database backup script
REM

copy c:\dbbackups\mydb_backup.sql c:\dbbackups\mydb_backup_archive.sql

c:\mysql\bin\mysqldump -C --host=mysql#.servicedomain.com o --user=username --password=your_password -v db_name  > C:\dbbackups\mydb_backup.sql

Of course, adjust paths and use your real db name, password, etc. You end up with a .sql file which contains a dump of your db's structure and data. You can use MySQL-Front to restore it should you have a crash.

And finally, shameless plug...check out the link in my signature. I sell a web site backup app that includes MySQL backup. It can email you a zip or tar/gz file of selected files and databases/tables. You can automate it with cron on a web server or Windows Task Scheduler on your local PC. Like my mysqldump suggestion, this can be a set and forget thing with the advantages that it can back up files and sends you a compressed file to save you a bit of transfer quota.

Best wishes,
Tim

PS - For working with tar/gz compressed files, you might try the open source 7-zip. Newer versions of WinZip also open tar/gz compressed files.

Its a good idea I understand the command line just not the arguments. I'm not real good with MySQL. I don't understand why I can't just use MySQL Administrator to make a backup of my database. I was told in the first reply to me that I could use it.

Can someone please tell me how to get MySQL Administrator working to make a backup?

I don't have MySQL installed on my own computer. The only copy I have is installed on the Jodo servers, so its hard for me to do some of these command solutions.

1. Connect to server using MySQL Administrator
2. Click on "Backup" and then click on "New Project".
3. Select your database in left pane and click on ">" button.
4. Click "Execute Backup Now" and it should ask for a location to save.
OK there and you are done.

This should normally work for your DB. Let me know if it doesnt.

Doesn't work I get errors when I try to backup that's why I made a ticket.

I was told on two different support tickets that I can't use MySQL Administrator to backup my database. I have to use the CP backup tool or mysqldump or PhpMyAdmin to make backup.

Can someone PLEASE! help me I am still not working. I made several tickets but I still can't get the problem resolved.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have to use MySQL Administrator program. Its the only program I can use.

I tried all the solutions. I tried making a normal backup using MySQL Administrator. Everytime I try to take a backup on normal mode I get the following error message:

An error occured while executing the backup.

Error while analyzing an SQL statement

Someone please tell me what this error means and how to fix it.

I'm not finding time to test this out. But still if possible, please PM me your DB name. Give a try to Aqua Data Studio as well. Maybe it works as you want.

Hi. I am only allowed to use MySQL Administrator. When I contact tech support they have no problem backing up my database with Administrator, but when I do it from this end I get that error message.

And none of them can tell me what the error means, or what I can fix so I have no way to backup my database.

If they dont see get an error, they certainely cant predict about this. If MySQL Administrator is only tool you have to use, you can ask on MySQL forums as well. Also see if they have a newer version available now than yours.

Back