Help with EM

I was hoping someone will have some ideas. I can connect via EM, but am unable to browse to my database. I can expand every other tree except the databases. Any ideas?

I can expand the databases in Quiry Analizer, but not in EM.

Does it act like EM hangs when you try to expand the databases?

Enterprise Manager lists *all* databases on the server, and it builds the list pretty unefficiently. For example, there are almost 500 SQL databases on MSSQL2, it takes a while for EM to build the database list. Depending on your connection, it may take as long as a few minutes to build that list.

Query Analyzer only shows you databases that you have access to, so it builds its list much quicker.

I've left if on trying to populate the database tree for as long as 10 min. My connection is very vast. 4Mb Down / 1mb Up. I'll try it again. Thanks

Enterprise manager was developed more as a network client

I recommend you use the web management interface instead..

Try this and see if it works for you

Using MS Access
Access is the perfect tool to connect to your database.

1. Open Access and go to menu "New"
2. Choose "Project (Existing database)"
3. Enter a name for the project, e.g. "C:\my documents\adp1.adp"
4. Enter the details of the SQL server connection:

SQL server: yoursqlservername
Choose "Use a specific user name and password"
Enter your login and password for the SQL server
Click on the button "Test connection" to see if the connection succeeds
After that, select your database from the drop down list

5. Click OK

You should now be able to work directly on the SQL server, although it looks as if you are working in a local Access database. You can add tables, enter data etc. All changes should be stored immediately on the SQL server.

Next time you can simply double click on the project file adp1.adp on your hard disk to reconnect. Access will be opened together with the SQL server connection (If you are conected to the internet, that is).

Note: If you create a new table, make sure to add a primary key to the table, otherwise you might not be able to use Access to edit data in the tables.

hth ~ megan

Thanks all for your responses. EM is my preferred tool. the web client is slow, and times out a lot. I can not use the Access way becasuse the only real reason I want EM access is for qucik access to stored procedures for edit. I can create them in analizer, but for quick editing I would rather access through the database view. Anyone have anyother Ideas why i can not access my database through EM??

On another host I have had it take 10 or 15 minutes to show the list of databases when trying to access my own with EM - This is a known issue with SQL Server 2000 and can be resolved using latest SQL Server 2000 Service Pack. It must be resolved on client's machine. Please follow this link for instruction on how to resolve the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q282/4/16.ASP

It will help but it is a very large download if you are on dialup

hth - megan

I updated my client to service pack 3, and made sure that sqldmo.dll was newer than the one referenced in that article, but EM still lists every database on the server. Did this work for you?

EM ALWAYS lists every database on the server - the servicepack just makes the time to compile and show this list much faster. regards, megan

Back