help with moving site....no really.....HELP!!!

webtech

Perch
Hi

A bit of background first...

I have about 10 brochure sites and only one oscommerce site that is currently with unitedhosting and apart from the fact that I've been meaning to transfer all of them to jodo (I already have an account), and the fact that unitedhosting are completely useless I am now told that because my oscommerce site is out of date it represents a security threat (spam exploit) and as such they ave suspended it!!!

Not just the contact page of course but the whole site!! Not only that but they didn't even tell me. Imagine my reaction?!?

Here's the worst part. They say that I have to update it with the update at the oscommerce site, but if I do that it loses all the template and becomes a fairly useless boring looking site. It looks quite good now, www.townhousegallery.co.uk, and I'd like it to stay that way if possible (you might not see anything as it may still be suspended).

I've been told that this is an over reaction (typical unitedhosting) to a minor issue with oscommerce and that not all hosting companies would do this so my first question is,

Can I host this site with the older version of oscommerce with jodohost????

My second question is,

If I can, is there anyone at all that can help me transfer the site to jodo???

And thirdly,

HELP!!!!????

But honestly if anyone one can help I'd be seriously grateful, and even consider paying.........I know that sounds bad but I do this website stuff almost for free (favours, etc) :)

Well you can host it, but if it gets defaced we are not responsible for that :)

Also if there are security patches you should install them, oscommerce has some upgrade processes you can follow to get to the latest versions, you may need to download and install 1-2 intermediate versions to get to the latest however and keep the same look.

Any ideas how I can move it here?? Is it just a case of installing osc then the template and then restoring a backup??? :)

I havent used my account here in over a year, is it still an option to install osc from the control panel (I cant even remember how to get to that!)??

Yes OSCommerce can be installed from the control panel, but it is not the latest version, probably very similar to what you have already.

The best thing would be if your other host has a backup option, for you to be able to get the file in a zip/rar/tar.gz format, if you can do this you can login here and use the File Manager(it is under FTP, FTP User) and extract that file.

Hi Stephen

Yes yes yes yes yes...........I've made a backup and got a .tar.gz file downloaded!!!!!

Now let me understand this properly.......you're saying (I hope) that I can take this file, extract it somehow in my control panel and create exactly the same site as I have hosted now????

I do hope I've understood this right because if that can be done it'd save my life and you guys would definately be on my christmas list!!!

Just one more sticky point then (apart from the fact that I can't even remember how to log in to my control panel............pathetic, I know but I haven't used it since the day I signed up for it 18 months ago!!) and that is............

Is it possible to create this site (www.townhousegallery.co.uk) when it is still pointed to my original nameservers at unitedhosting so that when I change the nameservers to the ones at jodo it's all ready and set up?????

Any chance you guys can help me with that????

I apologise for asking for all this help but everything has come just at the wrong time...............I will say something though and that is that even at this stage I would give you guys glowing testimonials cos it's only when you REALLY need help that you find out how good it is.................

Thanks again guys in advance :)

as far as the names...
That is an easy one.
Just create the account as www.townhousegallery.co.uk -- but don't change the DNS yet. The JODO server will assume it is really townhousegallery.co.uk -- and you can set it up with that assumption made.

You can make all your changes with the default url (something.your_retailer_account.com). If you need the url to be townhousegallery.co.uk, then just modify your host header.

When everything is set, just change the DNS server -- within 48 hours, you conversion will be complete. No one will see a dead site, they will just reach eother the old one, or the new own. Email will need to be checked on the old server for a day or two...

As far as the backup/restore of your OSC, I would read the docs on their website to see if there are issues with differing versions.

Finally, you could probably just upgrade on your current host and not lose anything, although I am not sure the specifics of how OSC does upgrades.

Hope the process works well for you. JODO tends to be very helpful in setting stuff up for you, just create a ticket -- they may even do the restore for you...

Tim

Hi Timruns

Thanks for your support, I will raise a ticket to ask if they can do this for me, and thanks again for your suggestion.

Pete

Back