How about a BlueDragon server?

Would Jodohost consider building a Linux server that runs BlueDragon? I would move most of my sites to a Linux based server in a heartbeat if I could still use ColdFusion, and BlueDragon on Linux works great.

Would anyone else prefer to have their ColdFusion apps running on a reliable Linux server than a Windows server? I'm sure if the interest is there, Atul and Yash would consider it.

Good Oyster,

We will discuss this more once I get back on site in Miami, I have used BlueDragon on some personal servers, I already know the Hsphere side would not work, but BlueDragon is pretty low on resource usage, unlike CFMX, and could be a viable option to add options manually.

No HSphere? That might be a bonus!

I know CPanel works with Linux/BlueDragon, because I used to have a VPS with another host with that setup. I was just too much of a Linux newbie to make keeping it worthwhile. But I sure liked the Linux stability!

Good Oyster said:
Would anyone else prefer to have their ColdFusion apps running on a reliable Linux server than a Windows server? I'm sure if the interest is there, Atul and Yash would consider it.
Just as a couple of points of interest here:
  1. ColdFusion Server is available for Windows, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, etc
  2. New Atlanta's Blue Dragon server does not support everything that is available in ColdFusion - especially with the features included in CFMX7 (see this page).
  3. We're running on shared servers here... one bit of bad code will take down every site on a server regardless of which technology it's running

Those points being made, I try to write my apps to run on either CF or BD unless the client specifically requests features in one or the other. Personally I'd prefer to expend some time and resources on getting a CFMX7 box going on Linux; kill two birds with one stone.

Not sure how they compare feature-wise, but CFMX7 Enterprise is $5999 for a license, Bluedragon JX is $1249. I don't know of any features Bluedragon is lacking that someone in a shared environment would need.

But any option that allowed CF to be run on a Linux server would be welcome.

Also, looking at the Server/Network Issues section of this forum, I see 304 posts in 28 threads for Windows servers, 78 posts in 7 threads for Linux servers. Probably not totally accurate, but it appears that Linux servers here have 25% of the problems that Windows servers do!

Back