How to deliver a read-only PDF file?

antic

Perch
Hi all,

I have a client who wants to show a PDF to visitors in the browser, but wants to disallow saving of the PDF file.. i.e. disable the "Save a Copy" button that appears in the viewer toolbar.

Is there a way of doing that? I assume it means setting some option when creating the PDF, like password protection or something. Anyone know?

Thanks!

well, since the visitor would have to download the pdf (and save it in temp directory) to view it, i seriously doubt if there would be a way to do this.

These particular users wouldn't know how to get it from the cache or even that there is one. But I've had a good look at the PDF security settings and there's nothing controlling the Save function.

I can imagine it would be silly if Adobe even tried to stop people saving a copy, as tips to get around it would be all over the net in no time and they'd look a bit silly for even trying. :)

i poked around at adobeforums.com and on there someone mentioned that if you save the PDF in full screen mode the user doesn't see the "save a copy" button.

:)

Back