How to speed up database connection?

Toontje

Perch
Hi all!

I'm using Joomla portal on WIN7 together with my database on MYSQL2. I found out that the database connections between WIN7 and MYSQL2 is slow enough to let Joomla time-out on the database calls after 30 seconds.
I already changed the databaseconnection from mysql2.jodohost.com to the IP number, that speeded things up a bit, but still, it's waaaay too slow for what it should be, i think.
The suggestion to speed up the SQL queries themself doesn't really help me a lot since i'm using pre-written portal software.

Who can help me out on this one?

Thanks,

Ton.

Hello Ton,

If it is just today, we are forced into some maintenance on MySQL2 that is high on I/O and so MySQL can be a bit slow on this server.

Yesterday it was terrible, but it's basically a question in general. I feel that the website is slower than on any other platform i've used before. Even including accessing DB servers over the network.
It's not that the database is big, because it isn't. It's not that Joomla is slow, because on other platforms it isn't. It's not that your servers are low spec, so what is it?

Ton.

Ton, I checked MySQL connection from Win7 to MySQL2 and it was instant. Can you tell me the domain in question.

I agree MySQL2 is slow, I put a ticket in few days ago, they said backup was being done was my reply I got from the ticket. IT is still slow for me as well.

Just let's hope the guys at JH are ready this.
As you can see above, they asked me for my domain name but nothing happened after that. No advice, no solution.X(

Ton.

Is it really the connection that's slow or is it the query? If its the query then perhaps you need to check that you're using indexes correctly and efficiently.

Ross

I'm using a pre-programmed portal. I have installed this portal on several hosts with local and remote databases and never i had any performance problems. Except on my own site. Therefor i suspect the databaseserver or the databaseconnection.
But then again, that was my question, how to know what is the culprit?

Ton.

Back