HSphere 3.0 clarifications

DaveMBush

Guppy
First, I would be remiss if I did not congradulate Jodohost on how smoothly the upgrade to 3.0 has gone so far. I hardly noticed any down time on my sites. Amazing!

I have a few points of clarification I would like addressed now that I have access to the 3.0 control panel. All of these questions are in reference to Windows accounts.

First, my understanding is that the Application Pool feature in 3.0 does not implement Application pooling as an ASP.NET programmer would understand it and that we should leave that turned off.

Second, my understanding is that SharePoint is not available at this time and that we should leave that turned off.

I notice that we can change directory permissions and create application directories in the control panel. Please confirm that this works.

FTP Sub accounts cost an extra 50 cents per month per sub account. It appears that there is also the ability to turn on Control Panel sub accounts and that ftp sub accounts are a sub feature of Control Panel sub accounts. Is the 50 cents extra only for the FTP portion or do I get charged for the Control Panel portion (or do I completely misunderstand how this works)?

It would be helpful if we had a central location that told us what worked and what didn't in the control panel. I realize this is a moving target as upgrades occur, but I'm sure I'm not the only reseller who'd benefit from this information and it may reduce support calls, particularly as we move from one version of HSphere to another.

Thanks again for such a smooth transition.

First, my understanding is that the Application Pool feature in 3.0 does not implement Application pooling as an ASP.NET programmer would understand it and that we should leave that turned off.

> correct, in fact it enables a web garden which opens a new world of problems for programmers

Second, my understanding is that SharePoint is not available at this time and that we should leave that turned off.

>Only sharepoint 2.0 is supported, I really don't see a lot of demand for this, we'd prefer to wait for more viable 3.0 to be supported

I notice that we can change directory permissions and create application directories in the control panel. Please confirm that this works.

> permissions work, application directory SOMETIMES works, we have reports on cluster2 of it not making them sometimes, not sure yet why it doesnt make a times.

FTP Sub accounts cost an extra 50 cents per month per sub account. It appears that there is also the ability to turn on Control Panel sub accounts and that ftp sub accounts are a sub feature of Control Panel sub accounts. Is the 50 cents extra only for the FTP portion or do I get charged for the Control Panel portion (or do I completely misunderstand how this works)?

> I will need to see clarity elsewhere to answer.

Some things we did not mention, PHP4 AND 5 are available across the board and siwtchable for every windows server. ASP.NET 2 is NOT available across the board, I am still researching if this is something I can add in a non destructive manner.

Also regarding the upgrades, with the exception of win15 all has gone quite well, better than I'd planned.
We were told to expect major problems with CF servers,yet had none, we will be moving forward on an accelerated schedule to WinCF3 however with CFMX7, and upgrading servers isn't exactly a pretty process be it windows OS, SQL 2000->2005 or coldfusion, I wouldn't say CF6->CF7 is the major undertaking that the other two are, but it would result in a lot more downtime than what we had this weekend.

My intent is to launch a CF7 server here in the next 1.5-2 weeks and then possibly still launch another in November, I want to shoot for having CF8 but have NOT tried it with Hsphere yet so no commitments at all, but CF7 is more than on the board, it is coming.

Back