http 500 Internal Server Error

I have a client who is getting an Internal Server Error when they try to do something on their website. It is on an ASP page (not aspx). I have tried the exact same thing on my computer and several other's in our office without getting the error.

I've added a web.config file to the root of the site with the following entries, but I am not getting a detailed error message.:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>

<system.web>
	<customErrors mode="Off"/>
    <compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true" targetFramework="4.0">
      <assemblies>
        <add assembly="System.Data.Linq, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=XXXXXXXXXXXXX"/>
      </assemblies>
    </compilation>

</system.web>

<system.webServer>
    <modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true"/>
	<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
	<asp scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true"/>
  </system.webServer>

</configuration>

What can I do to ensure that I see where their error is occurring so that I can actually start to debug the issue.

Thanks for any help...

Carol

is it using parent paths?

That is disabled by default in 2008 asp classic and generally the biggest reason I see this error.

I'd recommend stripping the extra items away from the config if not needing managed handlers.

you can send a ticket to have parent paths enabled.

Were parent paths enabled on the old servers? This was working perfectly and we haven't made any changes to the site since before the moved.

But what would explain why it works on some computers and not on others?

Were parent paths enabled on the old servers? This was working perfectly and we haven't made any changes to the site since before the moved.

But what would explain why it works on some computers and not on others?
Parent paths were enabled on 2003 yes...as far as working on some and not others I am not sure, if you mean it works on your test server locally, and not remote, yes quite possibly it is a cause.

By working on some and not others, I mean I log into their website on your servers (not a test server) and I can complete the task. I've had one of our employees try it from their home and they can complete the task. But our client cannot complete the task from their office. Very strange and impossible for me to debug.

I think I will open a ticket enable parent paths and see if that helps.

Why wouldn't the web.config file prevent the default IE Internal error page from showing and display the actual error message.

The page that is causing the error is using persits.upload. Could that have anything to do with it?

By working on some and not others, I mean I log into their website on your servers (not a test server) and I can complete the task. I've had one of our employees try it from their home and they can complete the task. But our client cannot complete the task from their office. Very strange and impossible for me to debug.

I think I will open a ticket enable parent paths and see if that helps.
That is odd, and would seem to me to be that some specific direction is triggering a 500 error and not parent paths then.

I changed the web.config to:
Code:
<configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    </system.webServer>
    <system.web>
        <compilation debug="true"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>
and asked her to try again and it worked. I guess there was something in the web.config that was causing a problem. (Let's hope that the other stuff in the web.config wasn't for some other purpose.)

I changed the web.config to:
Code:
<configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    </system.webServer>
    <system.web>
        <compilation debug="true"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>
and asked her to try again and it worked. I guess there was something in the web.config that was causing a problem. (Let's hope that the other stuff in the web.config wasn't for some other purpose.)

Yes if just asp pages, that is perfectly fine, I think the extra lines were probably making a duplicate entry in the config making it 500 error in the process.

Back