IE 7 help - Web page expired error

Discussion in 'Microsoft Development' started by skypanther, May 9, 2007.

  1. skypanther

    skypanther Exalted Code Master!

    I get an error with IE 7 that I don't get with Firefox. I've never seen it before actually.

    I'm seeing it with this new enviro calculator I'm developing.

    Visit Lighting Cost Calculator
    Select an electric rate
    Select a type of light bulb in the left-most column
    Select a wattage
    Click Calculate

    The page works just fine in Firefox but not in IE. Funny thing, I did my development and initial sharing with the pages at my demo site and I don't get the error when I load the pages from that site. Other than some different styles and some table wrappers to fit the scheme of the SELENE site, there are no other differences between these pages. It's the same files and database.

    I get the same error on my localhost computer (using localhost or 127.0.0.1 in the URL).

    What gives?

    Thanks,
    Tim
  2. timruns

    timruns Perch

    Hey Tim,
    I cannot add too much except that I reproduced the error on IE7, OK on FF.
    My only question would be if results.php is exacly the same on your dev machine as your production. If not, what happens when you sync them?
    Tim
  3. Stephen

    Stephen US Operations Staff Member

    Did you find the error? I open in IE7 now and it is working properly, just like in firefox.
  4. skypanther

    skypanther Exalted Code Master!

    Tim and Stephen - Thanks for confirming the problem. I hadn't made any changes, and it still wasn't working for me. But now I have and it's working.

    I'm still unsure of the source of the fault, though.

    The index.php and results.php files both include the same header & footer files. I had changed the header/footer files for the SELENE site to wrap the content within the table-based layout of that site. By putting back the original files, now the page loads in IE.

    So, there must be something in those files that IE doesn't like---but only with the results page. Because the index page loads just fine.

    Hmmm, now to figure out what!

    Tim
  5. antic

    antic Perch

    Nice calulator! Well done.

    One very minor suggestion - on the results page (which worked for me in FF2 and IE6), don't say "due to rounding errors", perhaps say "due to decimal rounding". Just so laypeople don't think something is "wrong" with the figures.
  6. skypanther

    skypanther Exalted Code Master!

    Here's what I found, if I include the header and footer HTML in my header.php and footer.php files, IE throws the error. If I put it in the results.php file and I leave out the table that wraps around the results output, then IE is fine. If I wrap the results output in the layout table to get the left/right border images, then IE throws the error even if that table is in the results.php page. I tried various php and HTML header, cache control, and expires thingies to no avail.

    I tried various CSS ways to get the borders and either IE or FF showed ugly gaps or misalignments in one place or another. It's not worth it. I'm not being paid, this is just a hobby, cause thing for me. So, good enough. When I have a chance, I'll create a new banner image without the borders so the page isn't quite so ugly.

    @antic, thanks for your input. I updated the "rounding" text.

    Thanks all!
    Tim

    PS - I am fairly confident in the accuracy of the calculations. I have compared them to various other calculators on the web. So, yes, leaving a single 100 watt incandescent bulb on dusk to dawn (like a porch or garage light) does indeed cause the release of a half-ton of CO2 per year.
  7. lpnny1

    lpnny1 Guppy

    i know this post is over two years old, but i came across it because I was having similar issues to the one described..

    ie giving page expired errors for a php developed page, and the problem was not seen in FF.

    what i found is that i was using "#" to reference and reload the current page...after removing these references and adding the real page name (ie index.php) these errors seem to have gone away...

    im curious to know if this may have been the case for your issues as well.
    anyway, hopes this helps someone
  8. Sztanp

    Sztanp Guppy

    Hello,

    I reproduced the resolution by replacing the # with the path of the page.

    :)

    I had to add the $_GET variables following it (./file.php?param1=x&param2=y)
    It worked.

    I don't know if there's another way of fixing it for IE.

    FireFox is ok it worked both ways.
  9. tachyon42

    tachyon42 Guppy

    Hi,
    Thank you for posting the solution, it has REALLY helped me.
    I've just spent 2 days trying to figure out why I was getting 'Webpage has expired' in Internet Explorer 8 (no problem with Firefox, Chrome, Opera or Safari).
    I searched and found various suggestions but you have the only one that works for me.
    Simply replacing the '#' in action="#" with the real page name solved the problem!!!!
    Thanks again.

Share This Page

JodoHost - 26,000 hosting end-users in 100 countries
Plesk Web Hosting
VPS Hosting
H-Sphere Web Hosting
Other Services