IMAP and importing current Outlook email

WebFire

Perch
I have a client who is currently using Outlook and POP3 to check his mail. He is wanting to switch to IMAP but has a question....

Is there any way he can set up his IMAP account to include his current email that is already in Outlook? He basically wants to switch to IMAP but still be able to see all the current mail he has downloaded via POP3.

Thanks!

KCWebMonkey said:
he'd have to forward all his mail from outlook back to the mailserver.

Well that isn't feasible. He has thousands of emails already downloaded. Seems like there out to be a way.

id do this.

Delete the pop3 account, but do not delete the emails leave them as is maybe in a new folder.

Add the imap account and create folders and just drag and drop.

i did this when switching from a previous host to jodo.

hope it helps

crhosting said:
id do this.

Delete the pop3 account, but do not delete the emails leave them as is maybe in a new folder.

Add the imap account and create folders and just drag and drop.

i did this when switching from a previous host to jodo.

hope it helps
I agree. This is exactly what I would do. I'd create a new folder, copy the POP3 email messages in there for safe keeping, delete the POP3 account, add the IMAP account, then drag and drop the old messages into the new IMAP folders. This makes them available online where he can view them from any computer that has IMAP capabilities.

One note about storing large amounts of email for a long time on the server - it really isn't recommended. There was talk at one time that JH was going to automatically delete messages older then "x" days (maybe 30 days). But they quickly changed their minds and aren't going to do that now. But in general practice I'd make sure I archived them off onto a local folder from time to time. Maybe leave them on the mail server for access but have a copy in case something happens to the mail server. A backup like you would do for any other data you were maintaining.

Thanks guys. That makes sense. And Homer, you're right on about storing the emails. I think he mostly needs it because he travels and visits clients quite often, and wants to be able to access emails that he sent or received at the office.

So here is another question. Does his email diskspace limit work for IMAP? Then this wouldn't even be an issue.

Thanks!

Back