IMAP and SMTP

Homer

Perch
I am using IMAP and I have my outbound SMTP configuration set to use authentication. However, I get an error from the SMTP server (something about a residential IP address) and I'm not allowed to send mail using the SMTP server... until I have used POP3 to pull mail down from one or more of my other accounts.

Why is this? Shouldn't the SMTP Authentication be all that is needed?

Homer said:
Why is this? Shouldn't the SMTP Authentication be all that is needed?

Huumm...Im curious too now.
I have considered several times, changing from pop-before-send athentication ...to smtp auth.

Are both auths. enabled?
I believe the answer is yes, but a confirmation would be good.
Thannks.

I've been using IMAP thru outlook for some time now (even at my previous host) and I've always had to set up another email address that basically does the pop before smtp to enable me to send email from my IMAP address.

[email protected] = pop3 account
[email protected] = IMAP account

This is the only way I've been able to do it.

-Cliff

Cliff said:
I've always had to set up another email address that basically does the pop before smtp to enable me to send email from my IMAP address.

[email protected] = pop3 account
[email protected] = IMAP account

This is the only way I've been able to do it.

?( ?( ?(

Never heard of that one.
I use pop-before-send with no trouble...any account. Never used IMAP on Outlook though.

Just to clarify what we're saying:

POP3 user:
- Does a POP3 to pull mail.
- This process authenticates him so he can send mail via SMTP now.
- No need for SMTP authentication since he has been authenticated via a POP3 access.

IMAP user:
- Never does a POP3, so this user must rely on SMTP authentication.
- SMTP authentication doesn't work. So this user has to setup a dummy POP3 mailbox and poll it from time to time to get authenticated. Cliff does it this way. He probably doesn't actually use the POP3 mailbox. He hits it only to get authenticated. I have done the same.

So the question is, why doesn't SMTP authentication work?

Just FYI, you don't have to use a POP as well, you can just setup SMTP Authentication to send the email address and password for the account.

I am not sure why you get the error when using this, you have the full email address as the username, correct?

Stephen said:
Just FYI, you don't have to use a POP as well, you can just setup SMTP Authentication to send the email address and password for the account.

I am not sure why you get the error when using this, you have the full email address as the username, correct?
Stephen, you missed the point. SMTP Authentication is not working. We still have to do a pop-before-send whether we try using SMTP authentication or not.

gsaunders said:
Did ya'll find out what was going on?

I have not been able to test and collect the information for a trouble ticket. When I get the time I will do that and let ya'll know what happens.

OK, I found the time to test this. I have opened a ticket. I'll let you know what support says.

Basically, I get the message shown below in Outlook Express when I try to send mail via SMTP even though I am configured for SMTP authentication. I get this error until I do a POP3 call to one of my mailboxes. After doing the POP3 call it works. Appears as though SMTP authentication is not working to me.

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Test', Account: '[email protected]', Server: 'mail.my-domain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 Dynamic IP Addresses See: http://www.dnsbl.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?xx.xx.xx.xx', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

where xx.xx.xx.xx is my DSL IP address here at home.

I have never seen this message before in all my hosting experiences.

We will see what support says.

Support said:

Kindly check your outlook expresses Configuration. We have not any
issue with our mail server.
Can you use IP Address (204.14.107.174) in SMTP and POP3 instead of
mail.yourdomain.com. Kindly check covariation of your outlook express
follow this link
http://www.psoft.net/HSdocumentation/user_nomenu/outlook.html.

I suspect that not many people are using IMAP so there probably isn't anyone else complaining. And the few that are are doing like me and Cliff and doing POP3 calls to authenticate. Cliff, you need to complain too so they don't think I'm crazy. :]

By the way, my OE is configured as per the psoft documentation. I even sent support screen shots.

I am authenticated right now (via pop-before-send) so I have to wait until much later today to test their IP address setup.

Homer, this is not SMTP auth not working, but SORBS rbl blocking you because you are on dynamic ip, why it works after a pop3 is weird, Tanmaya is researching this.

Stephen said:
Homer, this is not SMTP auth not working, but SORBS rbl blocking you because you are on dynamic ip, why it works after a pop3 is weird, Tanmaya is researching this.
I tried deleting my pop3 accounts from OE and set up the "outgoing server requires authentication" part and didn't work. So back to the original setup.

So to back up Homer, he's not the only IMAP user having to "rig" OE to send email. Now whether Homer is crazy or not, I can't tell you that. :)

Please tell Tanmaya not to change anything that might prevent us from using our pop3-smtp work-around.

-Cliff

No we aren't changing that, but Tanmaya removed SORBs check from the list, so Homer at least, should not be getting that error anymore.

Cliff, are you sure? I just setup an IMAP account and was able to send mail as soon as i setup smtp-auth in OE.

tanmaya said:
Cliff, are you sure? I just setup an IMAP account and was able to send mail as soon as i setup smtp-auth in OE.
I tested this the other day, not today, sorry. I will test it again tonight or this weekend and report back.

Stephen said:
No we aren't changing that, but Tanmaya removed SORBs check from the list, so Homer at least, should not be getting that error anymore.

Correct. The problem seems to be solved for me. I do not need to do a dummy pop-before-send anymore. Thanks.

Back