Installed mysql in my VPS, it doesn't let me login

Hi,

I installed mysql in my VPS, everything works fine locally using "localhost" as hostname, but if I try with the IPs, it won't let me login. Even if I try it locally same thing, it allows me to connect using localhost, but not using any of the IPs.
Is there something special do I need to know concerning to mysql running in a VPS ?

Prior to this I had SQL Server Express installed and I could connect any time, without doing anything special.

if it allows you to login and says login denied, you actually have to add access for your user with the IPs as well. You can always use the wildcard "%" to allow access from any IP, if you really need it.
If you see connection refused, probably MySQL is listening on loopback only.

Thanks, that worked. I saw that solution before, but since I could not even connect with telnet, I didn't think it was related to users, since I was not trying to login.

I have another issue now :(.
I have my website on win16, using asp.net 2.0. It will going to connect to MySql in my VPS. But before everything, I've just notice the following error:
That assembly does not allow partially trusted callers.

This error occurs in the instant of the connection.
I think it is another medium-trust related issue.

I'm using the MySql Connector 5.0.3 from MySql.

Do you have any experiences of other people with this setup, Asp.Net 2.0 + MySql, running succesfully ?

You need to complile the mysql.data.dll for medium trust, I have done this before already but need to pull it up as I had a laptop Hd die and it is in my archives. I did this within the last month for a client.

Thanks.

I just don't get it. If the assembly really doesn't need to be run in full trust, why on earth do they compile it so !? :(
?(

I'm attaching the recompiled MySql Data Conector 5.0.3 to work with partially trusted callers.

I'm back know to figure out why the MySql server keeps rejecting the connection from win16.
I am now able to connect from my PC, even to run the application locally and connect to the database remotely, but can't connect from win16 to my VPS.

I have a question, since my VPS has 3 IPs, is it supposed that mysql should responde to any of the 3 IP when accesed remotely if I add root@"%" permissions ?

Because the thing is just one of the IPs work.

Windows.

BTW, I'm getting any kind of weird errors between these two.
They guy in support told me MySql is only bound to one ip. But right now, I'm connected from home and I could open 3 Query Browses session one to each IP.
I made this test after I realized I was getting connections errors again.
I find it hard to grasp that I can connect without problems 1,000 miles away, but a server that most likely it is in a neighbor rack or worst case, same building, can't see each other :rolleyes:

yes mysql should bind to all IPs on the port, but it is not an issue of not seeing the server, it simply cant connect, are you still getting the trust error or have you passed that?

Yes, I passed the trust related errors, actually, I tried to upload the recompiled app here for someone else.

My VPS have these IPs x.x.111.221, 222, 223.

Well, see, this morning I was getting the error:
Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts

I had the IP x.x.111.221. Just to experiment I tried with the 222 and it worked ! Just for fun I tried the 223 and it didn't work.
I conclude that was a MySql thing not binding to all IPs, though, it didn't sound reasonable. I could not try remotely, because I was behind a corporate network.

Now, I'm back home, and I see that I can actually connect to mysql using any of the 3 IPS. Then I say, fine, it should have been fixed, whatever it was.
But I went to my application and changed the IP on my web.config file to the 221 and it didn't work, again:
Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts

Now to 223, it didn't work either. Now back to 222, it works.

Isn't soo strange !? ?(

You know what, I'm going to move this website to the VPS as well.
Since this is a pre-pre-pre-alpha of the real thing I can afford to play with it.
If I keep getting errors it was a thing with my mysql instance, nothing with the network. If I don't, then, I don't know.

I will give your VPS MySQL a check first thing in the morning, getting really late(early) here in FL for Tanmaya and I and we are both still up working.

Back