Is there real backup done for Mail Servers?

Backup is done on mail servers but it is not a customer accessible restore. We very rarely ever do any mail restoration as it takes many many hours to do even if just for one file.

Thanks for fast reply Steven
I am sure it is a long process and as I said could be for a fee. Better than loosing content of 200 Mailboxes of clients and trying to call them to give them new passwords. I do not want to say that I am definetly sure that I did not delete my main account by mistake, but even if I did, there should be a way to restore, by administrators, not customers. I announce to my clients that we do backups, but on first situation, all is lost. If i were them, i would definatly move away. I hope I can get some help with my ticket DZF-36454-211 as it is put ON HOLD..thx again

tradenet,

It is quite easy to delete the account by accident. It is as simple as this, and I am putting this for EVERYONE's reference as much as anything.

From Reseller CP, do Search, By domain type in the domain, get the result.

Think you are deleting the domain but instead you just deleted the WHOLE account.
The newest 2.5.1 beta of hsphere now has a restore feature that allows you to restore deleted accounts but it is not in 2.4.3 that we run or even in 2.5 that is not beta but buggy

I understand now the hard way. What I do not understand is why Jodo Host is saying "They Cannot Recover Mailboxes"
As you say, it is very easy to happen, and for sure they have backup, so why they are saying no, either they do not have backup at all or it will take them several working hours to do, so they take easy way out. This is not correct, they can simply say this is a value added service and there will be a charge for it, this I understand more, and I offered to pay a small fee for recovery, just a way to say thank you and that I would appreciate the effort.

I would appreciate getting a clear answer from a staff member...why recovery of my users mailboxes not possible.
I already sent list on ticket DZF-36454-211

Thanks

They are way number of mailboxes for various domains and each need to be taken care of individually. Since it is deleted, we even need to look in backup of each mailserver to find out the right one and then go ahead with the restore. Due to overheads involved we better not go for it.

Thank you as always for professional service and advice.
I realise that this operation takes time and effort, this is why I offered to pay a fee for it. If it can be done, please give me a quotation, if not, then please advise me what mailboxes were restored, so I tell rest of clients that I will not be able to retrieve their data. Please note that most mailboxes, maybe all, were on mail2.egycom.net.

Best Regards

What is the point of doing backups if you can't restore something for the customer?

This sounds like a joke really.

Why don't you just turn off the backups then? Since it's obviously a waste of time and needed resources...

Wheemer said:
What is the point of doing backups if you can't restore something for the customer?

This sounds like a joke really.

Why don't you just turn off the backups then? Since it's obviously a waste of time and needed resources...

We provide free database backups, we provide free website file backups. all these are handled very quickly. How is that a joke?
We keep a couple of copies of both databases and web files. We keep 2 copies of email files. We spend several hours each day performing backup and auditing it. Is that a joke? We've always had a backup of files for any disaster we've faced or for any user restore requirement,

There are not many hosts out there that provide free restores and who have invested in quality backup systems

I realise that this operation takes time and effort, this is why I offered to pay a fee for it

Our mail server backup system is different, and is meant for a server-wide recovery. You can pay our hourly rate to get the files restored. Open a ticket indicating you are willing to pay and you'll get an estimate

I would like to be fair in my comments...I have been answered promptly on chat, all websites were restored in less than an hour, and when I offered to pay for service, i was told that it is free and I do not need to pay. Anyone who has clients knows the nightmare of uploading 52 sites, specially if you do not know that some clients have modified them or not. For this I am truely grateful and I beleive I have definitly received much more than my money worth of service.
For part of recovering mailboxes, it could be handled better and a positive critisism is needed here:
1) I could have been told which mailboxes were recovered since they have spent the time already to do it.
2) Clients can be told that recovering mailboxes is possible for a fee, with cost of hourly charge for service, plus an approx # of mailboxes that could be retrieved.
3) Since deleting accounts can easily happen as mentioned on Stephen reply, then maybe an option of an extra monthly fee for mailboxes backup and restore would be a good idea. The way my situation worked makes my company look very unprofessional and is time consuming. First I had to create all mailboxes manually, around 180 Mailboxes that I found on files, then I had to use default passwords as I did not know my clients passwords. After that I had to call each one of them and inform them of situation and new passwords. This took alone 3 days, plus some mailboxes were completly missing as they were created by clients and I was not aware of them.
This is my experience and personal openion, I would definitly give an A for the quality of service I am getting, an A for fast response and recovery of websites, and a D for the way of dealing with the mailbox recovery problem

Back