Is WinVPS for me?

AndyLL

Perch
I think I should be using a windows VPS account instead a Resellers account. Let me describe my business and ask a few questions and we?ll see.

While I have my clients sign up for hosting accounts in reality they are signing up for my website business. I have a Net ecommerce application for booksellers. They only use the hosting account for email.

After signing up I have to add their data to a central database, upload the Net application to their domain and from there they use the Net application to setup and manage their website.

These websites are not very high traffic volume sites? if any of them hit 100 uniques/day I?d be surprised. They also use very little disk space on each individual domain.

As I?ve passed 60 customers and soon will approach 100 I?m having problems managing them.

3 main problems
? Updating the Net application. It?s being enhanced weekly and it is challenging to update all my sites.
? Stability. On the current servers it is not unusual for my clients to run into Out Of Memory exceptions.
? It would be very useful to have some kind of access to the server that allows me (or a script) to access all domains.

So my questions are:

1. I don?t understand DNS possibilities very well. Is it possible to have one Application but multiple domains access it? That would really help the version problem. All domains would still need their own folders for settings storage.

2. If the above is not possible? with a VPS when I remote in do I have access to all domains? meaning I could upload a new version of the software to a central location then use a script to copy it to all domains.

3. On a VPS? how does the nameservers work? Do I still have my service domain and my own nameservers or are there general Jodo nameservers?

4. With Plesk is there a signup process for my customers or do I have to create their accounts myself?

5. If my customers are able to signup is there any type of billing for them?

6. My websites use little disk space but a lot of database (as a total). Anyway to adjust the shared allocation of disk space to the MSSql shared space.

7. I assume the VPS can still access my current DB on MSSQL6.

8. I assume the VPS MSSQL database can still be accessed remotely

I believe the VPS makes more sense for my customers but I don?t 100% sold yet.

1. I don?t understand DNS possibilities very well. Is it possible to have one Application but multiple domains access it? That would really help the version problem. All domains would still need their own folders for settings storage.

> One application but domain domains would only work with a domain alias, which may not work for you.

2. If the above is not possible? with a VPS when I remote in do I have access to all domains? meaning I could upload a new version of the software to a central location then use a script to copy it to all domains.

> Yes you have access to all this just like it were a windows server next to you in your office, you can even map drives with termnial services to copy files if you don't want to use FTP.

3. On a VPS? how does the nameservers work? Do I still have my service domain and my own nameservers or are there general Jodo nameservers?

> It has BIND with Plesk, or MS DNS if you want to do it raw.

4. With Plesk is there a signup process for my customers or do I have to create their accounts myself?

> Well you'd need to do it yourself, plesk is not full automatino like hsphere, do it does not have billing and signup included, however some software can integrate to it.

5. If my customers are able to signup is there any type of billing for them?

>Answered above.

6. My websites use little disk space but a lot of database (as a total). Anyway to adjust the shared allocation of disk space to the MSSql shared space.

> This depends, you can actually have a local MS SQL Express or MSDE install done as well, and host it locally, we have some new external allocations on databases as well, but we had a real rush on them and sold out currently, we are awaiting the arrival of a fresh new batch of servers for winVPS.

7. I assume the VPS can still access my current DB on MSSQL6.

Sure, no problem.

8. I assume the VPS MSSQL database can still be accessed remotely

Yes, even if using MSSQL on the local VPS if you have firewall rules to allow, it will work

I believe the VPS makes more sense for my customers but I don?t 100% sold yet.

> It does depend upon the market you target, but it gives you a lot more control as well.

My database size is only ~ 500 Meg but the log file grows quickly so I've had to allocate 1500-2000 Meg to try to keep down the requests for truncation. Is there a way for me to truncate the log files myself?

Since I basically have access to the server itself... does that mean I'll be able to run C++ programs on the server? I do a lot of data manipulation locally now that I have to upload to the server DB.

How easy is it to upgrade between your packages? I'd love to start at the value package until I know if it'll work.

Is Plesk upgradeable from the 30 domain package to the unlimited or do I need to start with the unlimited?

Andy

My database size is only ~ 500 Meg but the log file grows quickly so I've had to allocate 1500-2000 Meg to try to keep down the requests for truncation. Is there a way for me to truncate the log files myself?

>If use external server no. You must be having loads of transactions to get a 1500MB transaction log with simple recovery model.

Since I basically have access to the server itself... does that mean I'll be able to run C++ programs on the server? I do a lot of data manipulation locally now that I have to upload to the server DB.

>Yes you can run c++, vb, console asp.net, etc.

How easy is it to upgrade between your packages? I'd love to start at the value package until I know if it'll work.

>Yes upgrades are possible.

Is Plesk upgradeable from the 30 domain package to the unlimited or do I need to start with the unlimited?

>You can go from 30 to unlimited, but not backwards.

Thanks for the quick answers... sounds worth trying.

Database Log file - I have narrow tables but the rows do get added/deleted a lot. I have been surprised at the database log growth too.

Andy

Back