ISAPI Rewrite: Consider Installing?

xscott

Perch
From thread: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=568

Appologies for bringing back an old thread but rather than rehashing said posts I just wanted to ask if installing ISAPI Rewrite would be considered?

It can be turned on per Domain so only domains needing it would be processing the DLL. (ie. turned on by request)

Also in a competive term "vacation rentals" = 6,670,000 results (not my industry just an example). "FTP Security Measures" = 161,000 results not very competive. In the first 10 pages of results of 'vacation rentals' on Google there was not a single page with a ? in the URL.

http://www.isapirewrite.com/

In addition to Rewritng the URL it can provide a level of security. This is because a url can end with a .html extension so the underlying Server Technology is Unknown to users.

There are other options as for CF such as URLtoAttributes with index.cfm/view/contact/ or the 404 processing the URL into the variables the makes the log files ugly.

Hi

Sorry for responding late. I do not know how we could provide an interface to customers to change settings for this. Additionally, this is possible in ASP.NET i believe. You can rewrite the URL

But Above all, adding more ISAPI dlls to IIS is something we'd like to avoid. such DLLs can behave unusually under high load production environments causing IIS to crash

Thanks for the reply. I understand not wanting extra dll's.

Is there a Coldfusion/linux option with mod_rewrite? Just curious about my options for a future site I am creating.

Thanks.

I gather IIS7 has built in support for url rewriting without the need for installing 3rd party ISAPI dlls. Are there any plans to test Windows Server 2008 and will that be available to us when it is released beginning of next year?

A colleague of mine has a hosting account with another company and recently inquired about URL rewriting. They are using IIRF. They created a new directory 'rewrite' in his FTP root where he could place configuration files. They also provided a small executable which you could feed sample URLs and it would output the rewritten versions of those URLs. Quite practical really.

Is there an alternative to mod rewrite in Windows?

I am using Zen Cart with the contribution to rewrite URLs.

The major issue with any ISAPI rewrite engine for us, is that it makes the hsphere logging inaccurate, becuase it uses an ISAPI plugin. I don't like that it uses this and didn't from day one(I expressed it to them many times)

Some here have complained when we had another ISAPI app installed, basically the log is going continually and most any other ISAPI based app causes interference and causes log entries to be incorrect in various ways, the most common one is in the bytes transferred being WAY off.

I'm in the midst of trying to decide on a solution to get around the issue of a URL rewrite functionality not being available on the IIS level. Personally, I think the logging inaccuracy is a non-issue. From my understanding, the prevalent workaround to this is to do a 404-redirection. However, by implementing this, you are in fact already making your log files inaccurate because each URL redirection will result in a 404 error in the logs. I think 404 is much more of an important metric for web analytics than bytes transferred. Maybe I'm just not fully understanding the consequences of the inaccuracies....

Granted, 3rd party ISAPI filters can result in performance degradation. But any ISAPI filter can, including ones allowing PHP to be processed which I'm sure your environment has set up too since IIS doesn't handle PHP natively.

Any chance IIS7 can be offered for Windows Shared Hosting? IIS7 offers a URL Rewrite module. Mainstream support by Microsoft for Windows Server 2003 R2 has ended just recently.

Windows 2008 is not supported by hspehre. Logging inaccuracy has nothing to do with the error/rewritten page not logged right, but every bit of logging incorrect logging about 1/8th of all traffic.

ASP.NEt MVC allows re-writing easily.

Stephen,

I have shared hosting, and was wondering if 2011 Jodo has upgraded to IIS7 or are the ISAPI Rewrite; being able to use 'rewrite' is becoming more important as some of the PHP development tools for mobile application require it

By now mobile app development should be as ubiquitous as developing in PHP; and there are a number of shared host who have "ISAPI_Rewrite" installed; http://www.helicontech.com/hosting/

Any chance we can revisit this topic in hope to increase Jodo's marketability in supporting mobile app development?

Thank you again for your consideration

Jeb

Back