isp problems :(

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
My normal 3mb DSL is running about 14.4 or slower modem speeds.

Every site is taking1+ min to load, and only IM chats are working reliable. This is so frustrating :(

I comment on it, and it seems they just upgraded the backhaul to a 56k modem now, a couple times faster than before but still dreadfully slow. how did I ever cope with those 14.4 modems (granted todays sites are multitudes larger)

2400bps... you lucky b*stard. My first modem was 1200bps, and it was hard to get that running reliably. Before that, we had to strap floppy disks to the backs of carrier pigeons and hope for the best.
I still remember the first time I connected to a BBS and saw my input come up on the remote server. Like magic...

My 2400 bps modem was internal actually, isn't putting receivers on the modem from the 300 bps era?

I think by the time I used the internet it was actually a 14k4 modem, so yeah, BBSes. Those were the times ;)
I made friends with a couple that was running one of those, though they were a little surprised when I told them I was 11 :D I figured it would be better if they knew before visiting them.

you could be right about the 2400 baud, I thought that was what it was, I just used it a few times to grab some files off a BBS for a computer fix.

I am thankful then that files were only a few bytes in size!

My first actual modem was a 9600 baud internal in a 386, it did not last long before I purchased the new 14.4 modem and installed it (which was my first foray into hardware, soon thereafter I'd have upgraded the processor to the newfangled 386DX from AMD that was impressively faster than the original intel). Then as time progressed we as a family skipped 28.8 and went right to 33.6, and then 56k. I did not keep 56k for long before I was mowing lawns and doing consulting work to get myself a dual channel ISDN modem and then an ISDN line installed.

From there I had a /25 and hosted shells for IRC services. I've never even told anyone this since i dropped off IRC years ago. :)

Heretic, I still use IRC daily :D

I was in line to be an ircop (opper) on efnet at one point....but I just got tired of the continual DDOS attacks and the likes, it was something I just decided to leave behind. I had multiple friends that ran efnet and other network servers, as capacity of lines grew so did the DDOS attacks.

I started out on IRC using a sunos unix shell that when my BBS upgraded to have a live net link they linked up with(they were not sunos, but linked to another bbs who was....)

P.S. note to anyone, IRC is forbidden on our network, not to talk about it of course, but utilizing it for BNC, shell, server, client etc ;)

Back