Joomla / php.ini / upload_max_filesize

I have a couple of Joomla installs and am running into the 2MB default upload limit on files. I need to upload audio files that are between 5MB and 10MB.

From what I've gathered, on a shared server, the php.ini file cannot be modified. I know that some values can be overridden by the .htaccess file in the local domain folder, but that does not seem to work for the upload_max_filesize value.

I submitted a ticket asking for a custom php.ini file for my domain only (I read somewhere you could do this). The helpdesk responded by saying they put a phpinfo.php file in my folder (not sure why?) and then went on to say that the 2MB could not be changed.

Granted I could just upload my files via FTP, but the site is for an end user with limited computer skills so I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.

Is there any way to change the 2MB limit on a shared server, or must I move to a VPS plan?

I have a couple of Joomla installs and am running into the 2MB default upload limit on files. I need to upload audio files that are between 5MB and 10MB.

From what I've gathered, on a shared server, the php.ini file cannot be modified. I know that some values can be overridden by the .htaccess file in the local domain folder, but that does not seem to work for the upload_max_filesize value.

I submitted a ticket asking for a custom php.ini file for my domain only (I read somewhere you could do this). The helpdesk responded by saying they put a phpinfo.php file in my folder (not sure why?) and then went on to say that the 2MB could not be changed.

Granted I could just upload my files via FTP, but the site is for an end user with limited computer skills so I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.

Is there any way to change the 2MB limit on a shared server, or must I move to a VPS plan?
on windows the limit can be changed, but that doesn't mean to set it to 1000MB and abuse it either (we had that one time, I know a rare case)

on linux, all that has just changed a lot with the updates this weekend, and I can't supply you with the best answer at the moment.

If Linux, it is must already be 10MB. Let us know if this is a Linux hosting account and your application can't see the new limit.

Back