Joomla PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`

aceman

Guppy
Pre-installation check
Joomla! 1.0.13 Stable [ Sunglow ] 21 July 2007 16:00 UTC

I am setting up joomla on a windows plan. I have come across a few issues.

1) PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`
2) Session save path Unwriteable
3) Joomla reporting PHP version >= 4.1.0 Yes
This is not true? I have PHP Version 5.2.3

Can anyone sort some of this?

Okay I figure I am setting up a test domain I might as well go for the latest Joomla release. So now I still have the same issues.

Again this is on a windows account with php5.2.3

Pre-installation check for Joomla! 1.5.0 Production/Stable [ Takriban ] 5-October-2007 21:00 GMT:

PHP Version >= 4.3.0 Yes ??? Nope 5.2.3 hum...
Register Globals: On

Im still not sure why Joomla reports php 4.3.0?
I still need to know how to toggle "register globals" to "off" on windows?

Okay joomla is installed but when I click on any links I get

CGI Error

The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

Nope I figured after two days support might answer the question. I see they have answered other questions.

I am about done with this place.

I got joomla 1.5 working perfectly on my home machine, windows XP, IIS 5.1

the search engine freindly urls work fine, no errors at all. so i think something is going on with the hosting provider server...

nick

You can set register_globals to off by adding this line to your .htaccess file
Code:
php_flag register_globals off

Pre-installation check
Joomla! 1.0.13 Stable [ Sunglow ] 21 July 2007 16:00 UTC

I am setting up joomla on a windows plan. I have come across a few issues.

1) PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`
2) Session save path Unwriteable
3) Joomla reporting PHP version >= 4.1.0 Yes
This is not true? I have PHP Version 5.2.3

Can anyone sort some of this?

1. Can be handled on Windows hosting accounts using a custom php.ini
2. Can be handled on Windows hosting accounts using a custom php.ini
3. It means it can run using any version of PHP higher than 4.1.0 and since you have PHP Version 5.2.3, it displays status as "yes". That is, the requirement is met.

Can you explain what is causing the CGI error?
You may need to create a ticket for this as there can be many reasons for the CGI error.

I believe I may have found something that might help people who, after uploading a Joomla 1.5 template to their server, are told (on the Pre-installation Check, Recommended Settings module) that their "Register Globals" is set to "On" instead of "Off".

Here is the cause: In my case, I was creating a website on GoDaddy. On setting up the account, GoDaddy gave me PHP 4 instead of PHP 5. This was fixed by going into the GoDaddy Hosting Control Center, go up to the green "Content" tab and click on the drop down of "Languages." Here you get a radio button choice of PHP 4 or PHP 5. Change to PHP 5. It says it may need up to 24 hours, but in my case, it took only about 10 minutes. When I went back onto the Pre-Installation Check, magically, Register Globals is now fixed.

This took a while to figure out because in some forums people kept saying the problem was in the php.ini file in the root folder. Well, I'm still new to PHP so I hope I'm not saying something really stupid here, but it seems to me that at this point in the installation process -- that is, on the Pre-Installation Check -- there is not yet any php.ini file to fix! It doesn't exist yet. As far as I can tell, the php.ini file is created by doing the steps of the Joomla Installation, for which the Pre-Installation Check is Step 2 of 7. Step 6 is "Configuration" -- which is where the proper PHP files -- I'm guessing -- probably are created.

So after looking in vain for this missing php.ini file I finally noticed that all my existing websites have a php.ini file. But this new website, which was not configured yet, there was no php.ini file. Hopefully this will save some people some wasted hours. Cheers! Spell

Back