Just signed up, need some help (coldfusionmx)

jag5311

Perch
HI, well, I just got signed up . GO ME!

I am excited to begin my site implementation here.

I am using Coldfusion MX but I need some help on the placement of certain files. I am very new to Coldfusion, but followed ben forta's WACK book enough to get an ecommerce site together:) Couple questions

1. Do I just upload all my info into the folder called "mydomain.com" (obviously its not called that)? Do I put my access database into a different folder? same folder?

2. If I plan on allowing the owner of this site to maintain it and it will contain a login/pass page for only her, is it recommended that I put any files pertaining to maintainence into another folder. Reason I ask, is because I tried that on my local machine and when I tried running the files, it didn't work, and I didn't know if that was because my database was not in the same folder as the files, or what?

3. The application.cfm goes in the same folder as all the files, right?

Any other information you are able to provide to someone who has never setup a coldfusion site on a host before, please do so:).

I look forward to getting this all setup.

Thanks
Bryan

1) yes, in the mydomain.com folder. You should put your access database in the root folder otherwise it will be publicly accessible
2) Didn't quite understand this question. I guess it depends where this "other folder" will be located
3) Application.cfm goes in the domain folder

Let me know how your setup process goes

Hi Yash, is you are JODOHOST, I saw your post on sitepoint. I think I was the name dropper:)

anyways,

So the root folder is where I will be if I can actually SEE the mydomain.com folder, along with LOGS??? I am using WS_FTP PRO.

When I try uploading my access database, I get an upload error.

I get , FAILED; ERROR 1004.

What format do I need to upload it in?

If the application.cfm is going to be in the domain folder, do I need to alter the line of code of this

<cfapplication name="something">

<cfset DataSource="something">

To

<cfapplication name="something">
<cfset DataSource="/something"> ??

In fact, I know next to nothing about what I am suppose to put in my application.cfm.

On all my .cfm pages, I have at the top, <cfquery name="blah" datasource="something"> So every page has the datasource already. Sorry I am being a problem, I just want to make sure I do this correctly.

Thanks
Bryan

Regarding the question you are confused about.

I plan on having all my CFM files that are basic template pages, like index.cfm, basketdetails.cfm, categories.cfm, ect... the ones that the users will see, in the mydomain.com folder.

So I guess it would appear (in my head) like this

mydomain.com/index.cfm
mydomain.com/categories.cfm

Well, the other half of the site, the maintainence part (for the owner only) I didn't know if it needed to be in a separate folder. Something like this

mydomain.com/secret/blah.cfm
mydomain.com/secret/blah_insert.cfm

I hope you understand. What I was trying to say was that when I tested this method on my own local server, it wouldn't work because I didn't recognize where the database was, so what I am trying to figure out is if I need to add extra code either to the individual files or the application.cfm so that it ALWAYS knows where that database is.

Thanks

Yes, root folder is the first folder you see when you login via FTP

How are you uploading your MS Access database. What FTP Client are you using? I recommend you try uploading this file via WebShell if the problem continues

I think
<cfset DataSource="/something">

would be correct. But I am not sure. We don't have any Cold Fusion programmers so the best thing would be to put your Cold Fusion questions on a Cold Fusion forum.

I'm not sure about your sub-folder question either because once again, we are administrators not programmers :) I don't see any reason why files in a sub-folder shouldn't work from an administrator's point of view.

Wow, that is confusing.

I open up my ftp program, and I upload the files and I get an error saying it can't. Then when I viewed it via the SHELL PROGRAM, it shows them in there. So I tried uploading it via the SHELL and I assume it worked.

Kinda weird.

Back