large ftp files & mirroring options

jetzkr8

Perch
I have a question on whether you would have any problems if customers/accounts started uploading/downloading ftp files in excess of 50MB each on a regular basis?

Also, if the client wanted to have mirroring for their websites, how would you fit that into the current reseller plan(s)?

No problem, but can you explain, why he/she needs so much upload and download with big files. Also, do regular means daily ?

Mirroring is possible, but as a costom built soultion. That would be implemented on request and it would cost you much more with setup and running cost.

Yes, it is going to be a regular affair. This is a prospective signup for me (I am not your customer yet), though I have a running Hsphere based reseller account elsewhere.

The client is a publishing house who does ftp of files for their customers to download. It seems the files are full manuscripts of books to be published for their clients to download and review. The ftp is mostly going to be from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia onto the servers, and their customers/clients will be accessing these ftp resources mostly from the UK. I know the file sizes sound ridiculous, but customer is always right so who am I to argue with them. They want it, we give it to them. That's why off-site mirroring is also an option I need to work into the proposal.

If only you guys were elsewhere other than in Florida. I already have a presence in Florida. X( :D

Ravi said:
....Mirroring is possible, but as a costom built soultion. That would be implemented on request and it would cost you much more with setup and running cost.
Could you throw some details and some ball-park figures for me to work on?

Okay I am going to re-phrase the question:

How many simlutaneous ftp download connections will the server(s) be able to handle off one account?

Does the VPS hosting help increase the amount of resources made available in these ftp usage conditions?

My prospective client may have several connections at any one time so I want to know if the servers will be throttled in any way. Each file movement is going to be quite large, about 50Mb.

We will allow up to 5 FTP accounts at a time, that should be more than enough for anyone really.

They are not throttled.

As for mirroring, you could setup one shared account, and one VPS account, and run a script on a cronjob to sync via FTP with the shared account. VPS would give you more control of the actual FTP server, but may not be any better than the shared unless you just need the extra control over the ftp daemon.

Stephen said:
...We will allow up to 5 FTP accounts at a time, that should be more than enough for anyone really......
So this applies to the shared unix/win server in question. Does this number (read as 5 connections into ftp daemon) apply to single domain or the entire sharing community of that server?

Stephen said:
........As for mirroring, you could setup one shared account, and one VPS account, and run a script on a cronjob to sync via FTP with the shared account. VPS would give you more control of the actual FTP server, but may not be any better than the shared unless you just need the extra control over the ftp daemon.
The extra cost would be that of a VPS account or for that matter, a dedicated solution should the need arise? VPS gives more direct server control but not really much performance over normal shared accounts?

To get better responses/performance, a dedicated server would be the way to go? In this case the entire ftp daemon would come under individual control?

Where can I get such a script? Open-source etc?

In any case, the script would ftp over the www section; what about mirror for the database?

Please excuse the detailed queries. I simply need to respond to my prospective customer and want to have all the answers on hand. TQ

So this applies to the shared unix/win server in question. Does this number (read as 5 connections into ftp daemon) apply to single domain or the entire sharing community of that server?

>Really, just per user, not per server at all, we regularly have 15+ on a server at one time with FTP

The extra cost would be that of a VPS account or for that matter, a dedicated solution should the need arise? VPS gives more direct server control but not really much performance over normal shared accounts?

>With a reseller account, you could use the VPS that is provisioned with the account,VPS is still sharing resources of the main server, so I would not say that it is a great performance improvement, but it is by far a control improvement, as you can control almost everything like a dedicated linux server.

>A dedicated server would of course be good in the long run, but if they want to start big, I would point most everything to the dedicated server, and used the shared as the mirror.

To get better responses/performance, a dedicated server would be the way to go? In this case the entire ftp daemon would come under individual control?

>Yes. VPS ftp would also be under your control, but full resources and server would be under your control from the HD, RAM, FTP, webserver and more, with a dedicated server.

Where can I get such a script? Open-source etc?

>There are many(free) FTP servers, are you referring to a FTP server management script, or what exactly?

In any case, the script would ftp over the www section; what about mirror for the database?

>You can use mysql to take a dump of the DB in SQL format on a schedule as well.

Please excuse the detailed queries. I simply need to respond to my prospective customer and want to have all the answers on hand. TQ

>No problem at all

Stephen said:
>There are many(free) FTP servers, are you referring to a FTP server management script, or what exactly?.............
I was refering to the mirror script. I presume I would have to run this script running off the cron on regular intervals. I was wondering if this sort of script is readily available?

You have answered most of my questions. Thanks.

Oh, I was thinking more along the lines of a shell script to be honest, written to work from the command line on cron schedule.

I used to have a fairly simple shell script which did exactly that and create differential tgz archives + weekly full archive... maybe when I make it again sometime I'll post it here somewhere :p

Back