Live Chat?

So, what has happened to live chat? The link is gone from the homepage of jodohost (though your main support page still claims that's where the link is to be found). In a thread from January, Manish says that livechat is back up after having been down for a while, and that the new URL is here.

But if I go there, I'm asked to "leave a message" -- which then apparently doesn't go anywhere -- at least, there's no confirmation of receipt or an indication that the email went anywhere useful.

I'd respectfully ask that if you continue to claim to offer 24/7 live chat, then provide it, otherwise let us know that live chat is no longer part of jodohost's support setup or that the hours have been reduced to x.

We are still offering 24X7 live chat. But due to error in BGP. We are facing connectivity issue with some server. Live chat server is one of them.

It would be *very* helpful if jodohost techs could use the network outtage threads to inform us of known network outtages in real time, rather than long after the fact, particularly if and when live chat or other means of intelligent updates are offline. It's incredibly frustrating to have clients call asking "what's up with the website?" and have absolutely no idea what to tell them. Informing them that "there's a BGP error causing some issues" doesn't really do anything to ease the pain of their site being down (I personally have no idea what a BGP error is, and, frankly, I don't want to know -- I just want the problem solved a.s.a.p. so I can go about my business), but seeing a note about it in the network outtages forum would at least give me the sense that someone, somewhere at jodohost has a clue what's causing the glitch.

Thingwarbler,

We did not know what it was at first, and not everyone was experiencing the issue, as BGP sessions (that is border gateway protocol, it controls routes/path that data flows to reach you)

We knew some people were down, but others were up, it was VERY widespread and not isolated only to us, it originated in the Czech Republic via a provider there sending out bogus large BGP paths which was bascialy corrupting the internet path controls.

This is really a hard thing to explain in simple terms. Even if we had not been affected there is a good chance your ISP would have been or was, and the site would have been down for you anyway.

We updated the forums at the first moment we had an idea what was going on, it was pretty worthless just to say "the internet is down", part of it was that I was flying at the time, I was on a 45 min long puddle jumper flight and it was fine when I took off, at some point between then and when I landed in Houston to catch my next flight this happened, it did not last very long or my phone was not affected when I hit the tarmac and turned it on I had mail coming in as normal.

In any case there was nothing I could have done to fix it any faster or even inform of it faster.
Here's a bit of info on it and two other big hosts:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/02/16/routing-snafu-causes-downtime-for-web-hosts/

Steven,

Point taken. It's now 12:22AM EST, and SMS messages are once again trickling in with site alarms for a bunch of the sites I have hosted with Jodohost. Sure enough -- they're all down. Now, I can do what I normally do here (and have had to do an alarming number of times since November or so): submit a ticket, ask what's going on, check the network outages forum to see if there's anything happening, and -- if the problem persists much past 5-10 minutes -- i can try to get on livechat and be told that "there's a problem, we're working on it, should be resolved shortly." Then sit back and hope that none of my clients happen to be online trying to look at their own sites.

I'm just wondering if there's a better model to be had? As you say, network-wide errors aren't really yours to control. But the fundamental "flying blind" approach also kicks in when, say, my least-favorite server of all, web1 on cluster 2, decides to have a seizure moment.

We posted about this, I checked it and there was some major abuse on it, we are working to find that, it was actually not normal type of abuse but IO abuse making HDs work literally non stop full tilt....it is a different topic. But we posted about it and resolved that quickly.

[Takes deep breath.]

Okay, maybe I'm just too testy. Thx as always for quick responses here -- reassuring to know that someone is on top of things. :rain:

[Takes deep breath.]

Okay, maybe I'm just too testy. Thx as always for quick responses here -- reassuring to know that someone is on top of things. :rain:

oh just as a note as well, we did get your email from the live chat system when they could not connect to it to answer. We got about 14 such messages :)

That along with a few VPS tickets were what came to my phone when I landed after that short flight.

Back