Mail/CP and other server issues

Yash

Bass
Dated: April 16, 2004

The last 24 hours have been a really tough period for us. We had a major Win5 failure as you all know and which has been corrected. However, what has made the Win5 episode worse was that PSOFT (HSphere makers) were also migrating our Linux servers to a new datacenter at the exact same time. This caused the control panel, mail services and web services (for linux customers) to become unavailable for about an hour and intermittently over the last 24 to 48 hours.

The reason why the Control Panel/Mail server/web goes goes down occasionally like this is because the TCP/IP forwarding scripts on the old servers fail occasionally due to high load. We have already changed the Control Panel's IP to point to the new servers directly but this will take at least 48 hours to kick-in

For our direct customers, to ensure that you do not have any email problems or web problems, we request you to update your name servers to the following:

ns1.jodoshared.com > 64.156.220.224
ns2.jodoshared.com > 64.156.223.231

For resellers, you will have noticed by now that you have received new name servers IPs in your control panel for ns/ns1 and ns2. You can view them by selecting E.manager > Server Aliases from your Administrative control panel. You must update your name server IPs at your registrar and pass on the new IPs for your customers as well.

We request all resellers and customers to achieve these changes within the next 7 to 10 days. If you are unable to access mail during any particular time while these services propogate, please change your Email configuration settings to use 63.209.158.6 for SMTP/POP3 IMAP

The linux server migration unforunately happened at a very bad time for us and there was no way we could ask PSOFT to stop as they had already started. Some customers are questioning why we didn't ask them to stop and this is the reason

Also, some customers have been complaining their their emails are rejected by certain mail servers. This is because reverse DNS isn't configured on our DNS servers. We will be doing so in the next 24 hours to correct this as well

It should be noted that after the Win5 failure, we've had 200 to 300 support tickets in the last 24 hours. We've been working 24x7 to get back to each of them but the load is pretty high. For that reason, you may not receive an answer to a ticket within the normal 30 to 60 minute period. it could take longer. If there is an emergency request that is not being anwered, you can forward it to me at [email protected] and I'll look into it promptly. Please mark emergency tickets with the works *EMERGENCY*

We thank our customers for their cooperation during this difficult time

We understand that these recent problems have put a dent on our reputation as a reliable provider. I can assure all customers that our team is working continuously to resolve all of them and put all services back to 100% reliability in the next 24 hours.

Also, I understand that many customers are very concered after these issues. I as well as our CEO have been answering these concerns non-stop for the last 30 hours. There are several threads in the forum asking the same questions. I have deleted them. Please open one single thread in the Chit-Chat section listing your concerns and I'll answer all of them.

Also, if your ticket has not been answered, please don't post it here but please instead email me directly as I have stated above. Due to the very high ticket load in the last 24 hours, responses are getting delayed

SQWebMail - mail client and Squirrelmail - mail client, both are working now.

Back