mail relay question

Hello everyone!!

Here another refugee from you know where ;) and I'm very happy for this.
I'm interested about mail relay service at JH.

somebody could explain me how it works on case of primary mail failure?

I guess It has got an exact config and mails copy and bring online on primary mail failure, but I confused about some posts about mail downtime....

If we have a relay we shouln't have mail downtime?
Thanks for answers!

Martin

Hello Martin,

In case the primary mailserver is unreachable, all mails will be queued on secondary mailserver and will be delivered back to the primary once it is up. So mails are not lost. For this you just need to enable "Mail Relay" from Mail Services for the respective domain.

Tanmaya,

I am really interested in knowing how that works. Let me see if I understand it right. Jodohost runs more than one mail server. At the time of creating the reseller account it becomes assigned to one of them. From that point on all messages sent to, or from, email accounts on reseller's or his/her end-user's domains are processed by that mail server only. So, when this machine is down, for any reason, the messages destinated to accounts on that server are being held by the sending mail server until the time-out. If the time for making delivery attempts by the sending mail server is shorter than a down-time of destination server, the messages are being bounced back with note "undeliverable".

In case of making mail relay enable, all reseller's and his/her end-user's domains DNS zone file receive additional MX record with the address of secondary mail server (another one run by jodohost) with the value higher then the MX record for the primary mail server. If I remember right the theory of DNS - the mail server with the lowest number in MX record is the one actually hosting mail accounts, those with higher number are "buffering".

BTW, I remember snooping around big hosting providers DNS zone files and seeing that XO communications used four mail servers, Covad - six. Their DNS server no longer allow listing all records, but if you run "nslookup xo.com" it will return four ip addresses.

So, how many mail servers does jodohost run? "nslookup mail.mysphere.biz" returns only one ip address. That leads me to the question: does it make sense to enable mail server if you have only one? Or perhaps I have to specify the mail server of third party company? But then, how does that secondary mail server know that it is supposed to cache messages destinated to mailbox on jodohost mail server?

Can someone shed some light on this? Explain in lame terms? I don't have to emphasize the importance of mail server. All my clients don't mind their site being down, even for hours, but when they can't log into their mailbox I am getting a phone call right then. It would be nice to be able to say: yes, the server is down but all messages are being collected/buffered, you will get them as soon as the server is up again.

jodohost please correct me if im wrong,

jodohost has 1 dedicated mail server, but in the event of it being down there is a secondry/ back up server.

from exsperiece the mail server very very rarely goes down.

even though they have one, i get emails quicker than i cabn send one then open poutlook and click recieve. and also from third party emailk addresses. (hot mail, aol etc).

Emagine said:
jodohost please correct me if im wrong,

jodohost has 1 dedicated mail server, but in the event of it being down there is a secondry/ back up server.

from exsperiece the mail server very very rarely goes down.

even though they have one, i get emails quicker than i cabn send one then open poutlook and click recieve. and also from third party emailk addresses. (hot mail, aol etc).

Mail servers falls too and It can be a true nigthmare, I know that :(
It's so so important have mail assured, more than web sites, IMO.

Question: it's possible that secondary mail server has a live copy of primary, in case that primary go down, secondary come to play?
Or may be, 2 mail server behind a load balancer??
I'll be happy to pay extra for this service.

If you enable mail relay then all your emails will be sent to the 2nd mail server as you described above.

If mail goes down then mail2 will recieve and hold all incoming mails until mail is online again.
JodoHost also has server ready to replace mail if its serious, which has a copy of our emails (except probably the most recent ones).

Although it would probably be best for a jodohost staff member to comfirm all this :p

Back