Migration Issues....

I'm looking for some direction here. I have a few dozen sites hosted on another reseller account with a different company. I signed up for the reseller account here with the same domain I use with the other company.

Step1. Nameservers
During the setup (step by step guide), I created the nameservers. By default they were named ns.****servers.com and ns2.****servers.com. Via my registrar, I CREATED(didn't exist) the first and CHANGED(already existed) the latter. But, I left my NS1.****servers.com as it was. Since all of my clients are pointed to ns1.... and ns2.... they should be ok (right?).

Step2. Corp site.
Now, I should point ****servers.com to the NEW nameservers, correct? Once they propagate, I should be able to add my clients via my new reseller account. Once added, I can have them copy their files to the new server.

Step3. Finalize.
One everyone is moved, I'm assuming I can just change NS1.****servers.com to match NS.****servers.com and all will be well. I should be able to cancel my other reseller account and forget about it.

Does anyone here have experience with this type of migration? Looking back, I guess I should have setup my new reseller nameservers with my .net domain to ease the transfer. But from experience, small clients are easily confusted by the DNS, if they even have access to it.

Brent

1) Hopefully yes. Since ns1 is still pointing to your old account, and if your customers used it as primary, everything should be OK unless ns1 goes down

2) Yes

3) Yes, you could point ns1 to ns's IP as well when u finished the file transfering. But, ns.yourhost.com and not ns1.yourhost.com would appear in customer's control panels

Back