Moving forum to Jodohost

I have a client with an existing phpBB forum running on a free forum host. He wants to have me host it here, but is afraid of losing posts, etc.

He can get a backup from his current host for $10, which they provide as a tar.gz file. If we set up his hosting account, install phpBB, and then install the backup, then do the DNS changes for the domain, will that give him the best chance of keeping members, posts, etc. in place?

Any suggestions for doing this? I have not set up a phpBB before, so any help is appreciated.

really it should just need the mysql dump and all will be preserved.

I'd be careful to ensure you have the right version in place as the only possible problem.

Well, I'm hoping it's that easy! Guess we'll see.

Does phpBB import the tar.gz file, or do I need to convert it to something else first?

Does phpBB import the tar.gz file, or do I need to convert it to something else first?
I've done this once (some time ago admittedly) and from memory, I uploaded the tar.gz file to the server and uncompressed it there using the File manager. Then imported it from there.

Do be careful about version levels. The easiest process would be to install the same version as the original, make sure it works and then upgrade to the latest version.

I've just taken on a phpBB client who was on a free forum host. They really appreciate the speed and lack of ads, as well as the improved reliability when compared to the old host.

Good luck :)

Back