Moving Website in Stages

sonata

Perch
This is a non-JodoHost scenario, but maybe someone has some insight on the issue.

We are about to move from a .NET website on Windows to a WordPress site using LAMP hosting. We opened a Linux account with a new hosting service and are ready to move the WWW website. The issue is that, due to time constraints, we can't move the email accounts at the same time. In other words, we need to keep the mail service on the old account while moving everything else to the new account.

I think I can do this using the following setup:

• On the new service, create an MX record that matches that on the old service
  • Update the nameservers to point to the new service
That seems to account for everything except POP. Is there anything else I need to do?

If you make the new DNS match the old, invluding any A records or MX records relating to the 'mail.domain.dom' entry, it will work even for POP/SMTP as well.

I came to the same conclusion after learning a bit more about the format of the different records. If I keep all of the default DNS for the new host and point the MX record to the old host, it should work. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks, Stephen.

Back