MS SQL Server and MySQL Server

1) What is your experience with the MS SQL and MySQL servers at Jodo?

Some of the web apps I am going to be creating will rely highly on these servers and I need to have strong up time. I would love some feedback on this.

Thanks

I use MS SQL Server and I must say it's been 100% for me. I usually use Query Analyser for playing with stored procs, and Access 2003 to connect as an .adp for messing/creating tables etc.

I use both MS SQL and MySQL. Both are very good so far in my experience.

Also, MS Enterprise Manager works perfectly, and I find that EMS Mysql Manager is excellent for managing mysql db's.

BluJag said:
I use MS SQL Server and I must say it's been 100% for me. I usually use Query Analyser for playing with stored procs, and Access 2003 to connect as an .adp for messing/creating tables etc.

Hi BluJag,

Can you explain how you set up Access 2003 with .adp? I've used Access 2000 to manage data, but it's never let me create or table table structures - that would be cool, since EM is damn slow as you know.

Cheers!

Also, I'm thinking of signing up here... I have some fairly mission-critical type clients - not serious enough to warrant a dedicated server - but they need reliable ASP applications online - is Jodo good for hosting serious online apps that are meant to be used regularly? Reliability of sending emails from web apps, and uptime of course are most important.

Ta! :)

antic,

We have EM where it is pretty fast because it does not have to download all the databases and such for each login.

Cheers Stephen.

It's still dog slow (300ms ping here to the US) for doing table structure changes etc... wastes so much time. If there's a way to do it with Access, I'd love to know!

Antic - re Access 2003 and SQL Server.... I'm assuming you have already set up a SQL Server database on JoDo. This only works with Access 2003 edition by the way.

1. Fire up Access 2003, then File/New From the choices select Project Using New Data. When the dialogue box pops up, navigate to where you want to store the Microsoft Office Access Project (*.adp) file, give it a name (eg OnlineJoDo.adp) and click Create.

2. A "Microsoft SQL Server Database Wizard" will then appear. Click Cancel. You're then left looking at a blank project in Access.

3. Select File/Connection... A "Data Link Properties" box then appears. Fill it in with the IP address of the SQL Server you are using on JoDo in box 1. In box 2 enter your username and password for the database - this means you will have selected the "Use a specific username and password" radiobox. If you want, tick the Allow Saving Password box - this will save you having to enter it all the time, but obviously less secure. Item 3 - select the "Select the database on the server" radio button, then, using the drop-down list, find your database from all the zillions listed. Finally, click OK

4. That should be it. Your blank project will now be full of all the tables, stored procs etc in your database, after which you can edit, add data etc.

You can create tables easily as per normal Access - all the SQL Server datatypes are there.

It's not so good for creating stored procedures which is why I use the MS Query Editor tool. It's OK for editing stored procs though, onece they've been created.

To open your database in the future, make sure you are online, then double-click your OnlineJoDo.adp file and then click the Open button when the dialogue box pops up in Access.

So, you end up with an Access front end to a remote SQL Server database. This means you can have all the usual Access features like forms and so on, reports etc. I think it's a really neat way of handing a SQL Server database and is several orders of magnitude better than Enterprise Manager or the thing they have on JoDo (which is fine if you don't have Access 2003).

With regards to JoDo as a host, I find that reliability is excellent, but sometimes the webpages are a tad slow. This could be because I'm in England and I suspect the nameservers are somewhat distant, and the servers are in Florida I think. Right now, as I type this, I'm in San Francisco and its all blazingly fast on my hotel room broadband. I've had a few upsets (and got really mad!) with emails from my web pages failing, but I suspect it was my fault for not coding the Persits ASPEmail component properly. I use asp.net 99% of the time by the way. Anyway, since being put right by the gurus on this forum my emails have been 100% reliable, which is vital for my websites. Note that if you plan on sending out >100 per day you'll have to fill in JoDos mass-mailing form and fax it over to them in Delhi. This is to stop spammers (the blighters!).

So, hope this all helps. If I can be of any further assistance please just ask.

Thanks,
Rob
PS I travel all over the world all the time and have had no snags with JoDo from Africa, India, the far east, all the USA, Australia, South America and Japan, so you should be OK!

Geez, half your luck! I guess your hosting business must be doing very well! :)

Thanks majorly for the help and advice, Access 2003 sounds like my next purchase... finally something to replace EM!!

I'm glad Jodo is looking good, it's harrowing trying to find a host to trust one's own clients with! Their reputation becomes yours...

Thanks again BJ!

No problemo - by the way, you Aussies seem to be threatening a comeback in the cricket! I think it's a foregone conclusion though - the Ashes are ours!! ;)

BJ/Stephen, just want to say thanks again for putting me onto Access 2003 for SQL Server management - it ROCKS! Way faster than EM and so must easier in every way, thank you VERY much guys! :)

Back