My Own SMTP Mail Server?

brawney

Perch
This question is somewhat related to this thread - http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=1685&page=3

I was wondering if the following idea would work. I have a DSL line at home with no ports blocked. My ISP alllows me to run servers (within reason), so I am not breaking my TOS. I have a dynamic IP address. Can I use something like DynDNS to setup my domain, install an SMTP server, and send my mail using my own server?

I would not be sending spam. I would only be sending my own personal mail. A few messages a day.

I know that technically this will work but was wondering what kind of defenses companies and providers have in place to catch what they believe to be sources of spam. I'm thinking that they may look at the IP block of my DSL line and consider it a dynamic IP block and therefore block my messages. But, I believe my IP has a reverse lookup that refers back to my ISP's domain (something like PORT245-MYISP.COM).

Any thoughs on this? I would of course make it require authentication and maybe even move it to a different port other than 25 to try and prevent others from hacking into it and using it to send spam.

I may try this just for the fun of it, but don't want to mess with it if it is going to cause me more problems than it will help.

brawney said:
I'm thinking that they may look at the IP block of my DSL line and consider it a dynamic IP block and therefore block my messages. But, I believe my IP has a reverse lookup that refers back to my ISP's domain (something like PORT245-MYISP.COM).

Such lists of blocks exists, and various anti-spam software uses them to classify spam. SpamAssassin uses these lists as well, but gives them a very low spam score, which is just as well since it still does so when I use my ISP's SMTP server :(

It should work fine though, anti-spam software is not likely to classify you mail as spam just because of this. The only thing I'm wondering about is: why bother?

Unless you need a very specific SMTP server configuration, why not just use the one your ISP provides?

SubSpace said:
The only thing I'm wondering about is: why bother?
I agree. Why bother. It's just a geek thing. Thought it might be cool to try but was wondering if it would work. :)

Don't feel bad, i'm a major geek too :D . I'm debating whether or not I should install a tv card into my windows server 2003 box and install some software that streams live cable tv streams over the internet so I can watch tv from my apartment from any computer with broadband internet :(

Patrick B.

brawney said:
This question is somewhat related to this thread - http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=1685&page=3

I was wondering if the following idea would work. I have a DSL line at home with no ports blocked. My ISP alllows me to run servers (within reason), so I am not breaking my TOS. I have a dynamic IP address. Can I use something like DynDNS to setup my domain, install an SMTP server, and send my mail using my own server?
What you're talking about *can* be done, tho as someone has already pointed out you would get blocked by a number of different email servers.

However, if you want to do it and have integrated support for a Dynamic DNS, you can't go with JodoHost's DNS service. What you will need to do is this:

1. Create an account with ZoneEdit.com (http://www.zoneedit.com/) which offers up to 5 free domain names and has Dynamic DNS client integration.
2. On that account, point all but the MX record to your JodoHost IP address. The MX record needs to point to your personal IP address.
3. Change the DNS Server on your domain from JodoHost's to the ZoneEdit one.

That's it - make sure you've got your server up and running. You could also save yourself some space on the JodoHost account by disabling the mail services in your CP, though it's not 100% necessary.

Back